Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2014 09:00

Problem booting

I have a Dell XPS8300. A while after I purchased it I added a 500GB internal drive for extra storage. However recently I bought a new 3TB drive to replace the 500. The problem is after I installed it I received the message

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

I checked my bios and it was set to boot properly from my OS drive. So then took out the new storage drive so it was only my OS drive and it still gave me the reboot message. So then I put my old 500GB drive back in as it was, checked my boot priority and it boots fine.

I am suspecting that perhaps boot files were placed on the 500GB storage drive. So when its not there it doesn't boot. However the drive was not in while windows was installed.

Any help or insight into this problem would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi kb323,

With your original system drive and the 500GB drive installed, check disk management to see which drive contains the boot partition.

10 Posts

November 16th, 2014 16:00

My C drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 17th, 2014 16:00

Just a dumb question but you're sure you removed the 500GB drive, right? Not the other one.

10 Posts

November 20th, 2014 16:00

Yes, I even checked in the bios.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2014 03:00

If you have your Windows disc, try removing the 500GB drive and perform a repair installation, which should fix the boot sector.

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 12:00

Thank you for the help I was able to get the drive installed and windows boots. However now I have a problem with the drive. It is showing up as 746GB instead of 3TB.

I have read that I need to update the RST from 10.0.0.1046. I am just not sure which one I am suppose to use. The dell driver update page is listing that as the latest driver for my system. How do I know which one to use?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 24th, 2014 04:00

Ok, good to hear the new drive is working (sort of).

Go to the Intel site and get the most recent version of the RST supported by your chipset.

10 Posts

November 24th, 2014 09:00

Right, but there isn't just one there so I am not sure which is the right one.

My motherboard has DH67M01, TB0420 written on it. Also in the device manager I found several listings:

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset

Intel(R) H67 Express Chipset

I am running windows 7 64-bit.

There are many different downloads and they seem to be different kinds. None of them are listing my board. Some say RAID Driver while others say AHCI Driver.

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx;lang=eng&ProdId=2101

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

Can you advise me which is right?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 25th, 2014 03:00

This one should work.

10 Posts

November 26th, 2014 10:00

I downloaded the SetupRST.exe file and ran it, but it came back with:

Failure

The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: This platform is not supported.

So then I downloaded the 64-bit driver files and went to my device manager. From there I right clicked on Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller and went to properties then to the driver tab and tried to update mannually with the files, but it came back with:

Windows has determined the software is up to date.

10 Posts

November 28th, 2014 08:00

I am still stuck with this not working the only thing I can find is that perhaps the driver you recommended only works when the BIOS is set to raid instead of AHCI. Is that the problem here?

If that is the case is raid better than AHCI and should I switch it? Or do I need one of the drivers stating AHCI? If so which? I have found 2 and I don't know which is right. The second one says it updates RAID and AHCI.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 29th, 2014 13:00

You should leave the SATA controller set to AHCI.

Try installing the Intel driver update utility, which should be able to find the correct version of the RST.

10 Posts

November 30th, 2014 09:00

I installed that before asking about RST. It doesn't list anything.

When I try to search manually it doesn't list my board

10 Posts

December 4th, 2014 10:00

So is there any solution?

105 Posts

December 4th, 2014 14:00

Did you initialize the 2TB+ drive as GPT?

No Events found!