Highlighted
Potato 0930
1 Copper

Problems Replacing Main Hard Drive

I have a XPS600 produced in September 2006 in which the hard drive has failed.  I am trying to install a new main hard drive using the recovery CD and can make it all the way through the Windows installation process only to be met by a blue screen warning me to remove any new hard drives when it reboots.  After reading a lot of the posts and other information, it seems that I am missing the step of installing motherboard drivers for the new hard drive.  At this point, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know what brand name and model motherboard Dell used in their XPS600 computers in 2006?

2. If I am not on the right track in getting this resolved, can anyone point me in the right direction?  I already paid Dell $49 for a call that resulted in the tech telling me I need to borrow a copy of Windows XP from a friend.

Oh, by the way, I am trying to install a Seagate SATA 500 GB Barracuda HDD to replace my old (and dead) WD 160GB HDD.  The drive has passed all tests and I can see it in the set up menu.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Thorium

Re: Problems Replacing Main Hard Drive

Hi, Po:

The "motherboard drivers" you need would be in downloads under chipset drivers.

Here is the complete reinstallation procedure for XP on your machine. This includes a description of how to install the drivers and in what order.

Also, since it appears you lost your XP and other discs, go here to request a replacement set.

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
5 Tungsten

Re: Problems Replacing Main Hard Drive

Hi Potato 0930, I dont know if this applies to you, no harm in having an look. HERE

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos