Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2010 12:00

Problems with BD-RE Drive and POWERDVD Version 8

I purchased a Dell xps 420 it included a blu-ray player and software.  Some blu-ray disks will not read at all (Planet Earth) other blu-ray disks will freeze up the computer.  Some will play but then will freeze up when it gets to the main menu on the blu-ray.  there are no problems playing DVD's at all with the PowerDVD software.  I'm operating the system on Windows 7 and I think I have updated most of the software and Drivers.  Any Suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2010 10:00

Hi, Murray_phil:

Which version of PowerDVD? Have you checked downloads for any updates?

January 5th, 2010 13:00

I'm running 8.2XXX version of Powerdvd - I have done all the updates for this software.  I spent about two hours with Dell support a couple of days ago - but his didn't solve the problem - they got it up and running but once I hung-up the phone it crashed.  Last night I found a firmware update for the BD-RE disk drive on the dell website.  Once I updated the the disk drive and re-booted the computer it's working much better.   I wonder why Dell Support would not have done this right from the start.

However, it only plays new released blu-rays , it does not play the Blu-ray Planet Earth (4 disk set) I purchased 2 years ago - I know it's not the disk(s) because it will play on my son's PS3.  It must be coded differently becasue the disk drive does not even recognize that there is a disk inserted.

Murray

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2010 16:00

Murray:

There are other Dell forum members with the same complaint who have convinced Dell to send them version 9. Why don't you give that a try? If you want, you can download version 9 as a 30-day trial from the Cyberlink site and see if things improve.

No Events found!