Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

November 14th, 2018 12:00

Putting a CD/DVD drive into a dell inspiron 15 3000

I had a dell inspiron 3000 that was about 4 years old. It pooped out and so bought another one. My old one had a CD drive in it so I removed it along with the HD and ram, and took out the batteries to use in my Flashlight that takes the 18650s. I put the HD into a reader and my new dell reads it just fine. So  no issue with the HD. Anyway my new inspiron laptop has a slot for a CD but just a cover. I took it out no issue and tried to insert the drive in, it fits but for the last half inch, I shined a light into the drive slot and can not see a connection for a drive, do I need to do something like take the bottom off and remove a piece or is there no connection for a drive at all?

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 15:00

Did you figure out if this can be done? Is there a plug inside to plug it in?

Thanks

Jerry

4 Posts

Thank You for the reply.

I have a portable that works great. I was hoping to get a unit that would replace the DVD with an HDD so I can add another SSD for data and backup.

I'm kinda' assuming that the motherboard has the plug on it for the ribbon cable but the cable and the sata plug are not there.

I will see when I open it up to add more ram.

Thanks again

Jerry Campbell

2 Posts

I opened up the back and could not find a plug in. There is a place for the drive but no plug in. I ended up getting a external DVD drive.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 18:00

I said "I'm kinda' assuming that the motherboard has the plug on it for the ribbon cable" because somewhere in some software I saw that there were two SATA ports and that one was empty. Maybe if it's there I could find the connectors. We shall see.

Jerry

10 Posts

March 24th, 2019 08:00

Hello, I have seen some of the replies that have been posted, however most of those replies are solutions to a problem that you don not have which is an existing CD drive that is not working or faulty, The problem that you and many others myself included have is that the laptops do not have a cd drive, they never did. we all bought them without one. the solution to that I believe is to go to Dell and order one. you can install it yourself. its a matter of taking out the empty shell and inserting your new drive. that will solve the problem.

see: https://inro.in/lucky-patcher/ , https://inro.in/9apps/ & https://inro.in/vidmate/

1 Message

July 6th, 2019 18:00

1 Message

November 9th, 2019 18:00

• I'm also in the process of adding a CD-DVD drive to a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 that didn't initially come with one. After gently popping off the drive cover I shone a light into the drive bay and didn't see a connector for one. After some research I determined that the connector (which can be bought online for about $10 or so) snaps onto the rear of the drive (which can be bought online for about $20 or so and should come with the proper faceplate). After doing this it's relatively easy to install: 1. Remove the drive replacement frame by unscrewing the single screw on the bottom of the laptop about 5.5" back from the place where the drive door would be and pull the frame out. 2. Using a thin, sharp blade gently pry off the keyboard starting at the 4-5 clips along its top edge and put it aside (no need to disconnect it if you're careful). 3. The CD-DVD ribbon cable connector should now be visible, it's the smaller one located just beneath the keyboard ribbon cable connector, labeled "ODD". 4. Plug the ribbon cable's SATA connector into the rear of the new CD-DVD drive. 5. Snap the drive door onto the drive and, ribbon cable first, slowly slide it into the drive bay, taking care to grab onto the ribbon cable and fish it up through the rectangular hole provided in the chassis. 6. Continue sliding the drive into place while pulling the cable up until you can plug the cable into its connector. 7. Snap the keyboard back into place. 8. Using the screw you removed in step 1, screw it back into its hole to securely attach the drive in the bay. 9. If the PC doesn't see the drive you may need to go into the BIOS and activate it. You also may need to go online and download the driver for it. If all else fails, you may need to edit the registry to activate it. There's info online on how to do this (I haven't gotten to this point myself, yet).
No Events found!