Poke13
1 Copper

RAID 0 to Single HDD, Installing SSD and Windows 7 64bit - Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Hi all,

Apologies I have posted this elsewhere on the forums but it may have been the wrong section, plus there has been updates to my progress.

If you have any advice on the below it would be much appreciated.

My aim is to first change my RAID 0 array to a single new HDD (Vista Install), then once that is good and running install Windows 7 on a new SSD and possibly dual boot the two. The below is my progress so far:

- I used Paragon Backup (free) to create a backup to an ext usb drive.

- Then I have connected my new 1tb drive to the spare sata port.

- The drive has been recognised within Paragon in Windows so I then restored the partitions from usb ext drive to the new 1tb drive.

- The new drive now looks exactly the same as my original RAID 0 array but the partitions have no drive letters?! (see below pic)

My question now is if I disconnect the RAID 0 drives and set the new drive as boot will the system boot and what happens to the drive letters?

Am I on the right track or should I start again using something like Acronis?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jonny/Poke13

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: RAID 0 to Single HDD, Installing SSD and Windows 7 64bit - Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Hi Jonny,

My first question if you don't mind is, why do you want to dual boot Vista and Windows 7? They're very similar operating systems, so I know of no software or hardware incompatibilities between the two.

My second question is whether you have a RAID 0 or 1?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

RE: RAID 0 to Single HDD, Installing SSD and Windows 7 64bit - Dell Studio XPS 435MT

Once the restore is completed, you MUST NOT boot Windows with the new drive mounted in it.  When you do, Windows marks it as a secondary drive and it will not be bootable.

The other issue you may have is that if you've cloned a RAID drive, you may have to do a repair once you break the RAID array and set the new drive up.  Be sure you disconnect the RAID drives from the system before you try this.

0 Kudos