Highlighted
marzz03
Bronze

Raid volume failed on a non Raid HD set up

I'm a rookie so please bear with me as I try to explain the problem.

After unplugging all the boards, hard drive connectors, and removing the battery out of the mother board trying to trouble shoot a separate issue (blinking amber power button light if this is at all related) I plugged everything back as it was and powered it up.

Right after the initial Dell screen, instead of the OS booting up (Windows XP pro) I got this prompt: ID: 0, Name: Array, Level:Raid0 (stripe), Strip:128K, Size:298.0GB, Status: Failed, Bootable:No. Two hard drives listed below that, one with the OS installed is a 160 gb, and another 1tb drive that I use for data storage.

Its been a while, but when I initially had this machine set up I requested no Raid. Being that the drives are different size I don't have either Raid0 or Raid1, so trying to figure out what happened and how can I resolve this. I ran the HD diagnostic test and both drives passed. I also did the Ctrl-I to reset to non-raid setting but am afraid to go further as it's saying I will loose all data. will I? Has the bios reset to the default settings after I unplugged everything and thats what causing the issue? What needs to be done to correct this with out loosing any data, assuming nothing got wiped out?

Please let me know if this is enough info to go by. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: Raid volume failed on a non Raid HD set up

Hi Marzz03,

What's the model? You could try simply removing the 1TB drive.

0 Kudos
marzz03
Bronze

Hi osprey,

Its a Dimension 9100. I haven't tried removing the 1tb hard drive yet, will do that next, thanks.

Does the bios automatically reset to default when you unplug the drives and take the battery out? I'm hoping that's what happened but so far have been unsuccessful with resetting it to what it was when it was working.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Yes, BIOS defaults are reset when you remove the battery.

0 Kudos
marzz03
Bronze

Thanks Osprey,

If thats the case, then the default BIOS settings are set up for Raid only setups?.

The only place where I can turn off Raid is in the ctrl-I menu, but it says I will loose all data if I change those settings.

I'm hesitant to try it until I am sure that won't happen, any idea or any other way of turning off the Raid in BIOS?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Did you try removing the 1TB drive?

0 Kudos
marzz03
Bronze

Not yet, will have time to do that tonight. Will turning off that drive in the BIOS do the same thing, or I need to physically unplug it?

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

I wouldn't take any chances. Unplug the data cable and turn the SATA port off.

0 Kudos
marzz03
Bronze

So I unplugged the drive and all that happened is it that it was no longer listed under "Physical Discs" .The RAID Volumes Failed status is listed right above that as it was before and Windows still won't boot.

I did notice (when both HD's are plugged in) on the screen where it list the physical disks, that my data hard drive is a called a "Non-RAID Disk" under Type/Status(Vol ID) column, and the hard drive where OS is installed is called "Member Disk(0)" Im assuming that the OS drive setting switched to have RAID 0 on when the BIOS was reset to default.

Where in the Dimension 9100 BIOS can I turn off RAID for a particular drive? That's One thing that I haven't been able to locate, and seems like that would fix the "Member Disk (0)" setting?

0 Kudos