Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 03:00

Random/Phantom DVD Ejects (on 1 of my 2 Studio 1537 Laptops)

I recently purchased 2 Dell Studio 1537 laptops. On the whole, I'm very pleased with both of them. However...

The eject mechanism fires at random on one of the machines (but not the other). The eject light flashes on top of the latop, and I hear (a fairly loud) eject sound from the DVD drive. It seems to happen randomly for about 10 minutes after a cold boot, and then it calms down. I reported to problem to Dell, and they collected the machine and promised to replace the drive.

The unit came back last week... The screen had been replaced!? I knew straight away because the screen surround hadn't been closed properly [sigh], and the resolution was greater than that of my original screen! I called Dell again, and they were puzzled as to why the screen had been replaced, but assured me that the drive had also been replaced. I'm not convinced... The random/phantom eject problem remains.

I applied the A05 BIOS this morning, but it hasn't made any difference; the problem still exists.

I don't know what to do next. Should I simply demand a new replacement laptop? Is it a problem with the drive, or something altogether more serious? Is this something that can be fixed, by Dell, without the need to replace hardware? As it's only happening on one of my Studio laptops, I'm inclined to think it's a hardware problem.

I can see from searching here, and googling, that it is a fairly common problem, so why hasn't Dell resolved it?

15 Posts

November 19th, 2008 05:00

Dell have tried, uncusessfully, to repair the machine twice now, so I'm demanding a replacement. They replaced the drive, but the problem remained. The engineer seemed to think it was a motherboard/controller issue. I don't think a BIOS update is going to fix these issues.

6 Posts

November 24th, 2008 02:00

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with mine so please let me know how you get on.

I have also written to dell regarding this problem so I am waiting to hear their response as ive not even had it a week.

Personally they should have spoted this issue under quality control testing and they should be aware that a simple bios update is not going to fix it

15 Posts

November 28th, 2008 02:00

The solution for me was to have a new, replacement laptop. I pretty much demanded it. The replacement arrived this morning, and all is well :) No phantom/random DVD ejects (so far).

I hope you manage to resolve your problem too.

July 14th, 2009 17:00

Glad to hear you got yourself a new laptop. I may have to do the same (demand the replacement). I have called the Dell Technical Support line about 10 times in the last year about the exact same phantom disc ejecting and flashing eject light on the keyboard. They have tried everything under the sun to fix it to no avail. Tomorrow they are sending someone out to replace my drive. I fear this will not fix it just like yours. Who did you have to speak to to get the replacement laptop?? Any suggestions for me?? I'm really disappointed with Dell over this whole issue. my old Dell Desktop lasted me 5 good years with heard wear and tear and high usage.

my email is <ADMIN NOTE: Email removed per privacy policy>

let me know if you have some advice. thanks--its at least good to know I'm not crazy and someone else knows this problem all too well

-Studio 1535 owner

No Events found!