Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2010 06:00

Re-assigning drive letter for recovery partition. YES or NO and if NO: Why?

Hi and thanks for taking a look at my post.

If any moderators think this post belongs in a different thread please move it or let me know where I can post it that it would come to the attention of those who can help.

My problem is this:

I  own a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with a 160GB hard disk. This is partitioned into 4 volumes, 1 usable 100GB (C:), 1 recovery 10GB (D:) and 2 others (unusable). The DVDRW drive is E:.

There is another hard disk bay that is easily accessable in which I plan to put a 160GB or 250GB 2.5" SATA hard disk. It would be useful if I could assign the newly created volume as D:. I know how to do this using the microsoft management console disk management snap-in but what I would like to know is:

Would re-assigning the drive letter of the recovery partition prevent its use?

I could probably cope with the prevention of its use so long as it could be used again at a later date by swapping the volumes back over if nothing was to adversely effect the recovery partitions operation in the mean time so my next question is: Does the recovery partition do anything during the normal operation of the hard disk that might be effected by changing its assigned drive letter?

Thanks in advance.

J Richards

If you reassign the letter for the recovery drive, the automatic  recovery option will then not function.

Thanks for the swift response.

If thats the case: Is there a way to edit a file somewhere that directs the recovery software in the event that it has to be used?

If not I could always re-assign it in the event that it must be used so long as it wouldn't harm it to be re-assigned in the mean time. So is the recovery partition active or dormant when not in use?

Thanks again

J Richards

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you reassign the letter for the recovery drive, the automatic  recovery option will then not function.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 11th, 2010 07:00

The answer to your questions is contained within the operation of ImageX, which is the utility that invokes the restore image.  If you prepare a bootable Windows PE CD that has ImageX on it, you can restore the image no matter where it is stored.

Start with these two sites:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721929%28WS.10%29.aspx

and

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

March 11th, 2010 14:00

Thanks once again.

You have clearly taken some time over finding me the information I need. I'm sure I will find the answers I'm looking for in the links you have provided but I think it will have to wait as its a bit too much to take in at the moment :emotion-18:

Regards

J Richards

No Events found!