otisalex2
Silver

Recovery Partition: Is this Dell or Windows 7?

Jump to solution

This is a 10.89GB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition). No drive letter. No file system listed under Disk Management, but Easeus Partition Master identifies it as NTFS with 6.7GB used.

Is this a Windows 7 partition or a Dell partition. Dell DataSafe local backup is unable to detect what it calls "The Recovery Partition" since I cloned the original drive to this one, so if this is Dell, I don't need it and will try to delete it.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated!

Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
jackshack
Diamond

Re: Recovery Partition: Is this Dell or Windows 7?

Jump to solution

The 10.89 GB partition contains the restore image for your C: drive and is hidden from your operating system to help prevent accidental damage to it.  It is generated by Dell at the time your system is built, but they don't keep a record of it.  Once you have removed it you cannot replace it.  Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

I'm not certain about Windows 7, but with Vista the image was produced by something called imageX or some name similar to that.  Datasafe won't touch it.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
otisalex2
Silver

Jump to solution

What is the practical use of this partition, and how is it accessed?

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Jump to solution

It is accessed by F8 and used to restore the system to factory ship status.  If you used a partition manager at all, the function is gone - it can no longer be used from a startup menu.  You CAN restore it using ImageX though - if you prepare a boot CD with IMageX on it.

0 Kudos
otisalex2
Silver

Jump to solution

It is accessed by F8 and used to restore the system to factory ship status.  If you used a partition manager at all, the function is gone - it can no longer be used from a startup menu.  You CAN restore it using ImageX though - if you prepare a boot CD with IMageX on it.

I did use a partition manager. Tell me more about restoring it using ImageX. If I decide not to restore it, is it really safe to delete? It's an active system partition. Are you guys sure it has no OS components on it?

Rob

0 Kudos
otisalex2
Silver

Jump to solution

Still looking for more info on this. I have assigned a drive letter to the recovery partition, so I can now open it and see all files, but this is the active system partition and cannot be deleted. If I make C (OS) the active partition and delete the recovery partition (now A) will Windows still boot?

Rob

0 Kudos
jackshack
Diamond

Jump to solution

I've told you what it is, and ejn63 has explained how it is accessed.  Since you have adjusted the partitions I'm not sure if the recovery application will work, but Windows should boot if you make the C drive active.  As you seem to be in a mood for experimentation, why not find out for yourself?  The worst that can happen is that you will need to reinstall Windows and any applications you wish to use.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos
Highlighted
otisalex2
Silver

Jump to solution

.....why not find out for yourself?  The worst that can happen is that you will need to reinstall Windows and any applications you wish to use.

Easy for you to say....

0 Kudos
otisalex2
Silver

Jump to solution

.....why not find out for yourself?  The worst that can happen is that you will need to reinstall Windows and any applications you wish to use.

Easy for you to say....

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

i also have the same problem of recovery partition...can u please help me in restoring my recovery partition... i need to have my system back as factory one...please tell me how to fix a missing recovery partition( which is actually there but  some not found )...

0 Kudos