hrova
5 Rhenium

Re: Reisntalling Windows XP the original product key isn't accepted

Just a point here about the licensing issues.....

A Vista to XP downgrade is allowed if the version of Vista is Ultimate or Business, otherwise it is not.

Otherwise, using the OEM Dell XP from one machine, even if that machine is retired, on another machine is a violation of the Microsoft OEM EULA.

Community Member Since 2003

0 Kudos
bmscbruc
1 Nickel

Hi Hrova,

You have made a very good point, and one which i completely overlooked. In light of this I will put forward a different solution to the problem.

Malinkuore, what processor do you have in your new computer? I have had a quick look at

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm

to check whether the processor supports VT. The Q8200 doesn't support but most of the other quads do (i am assuming you have a quad core) If you find that your processor does have VT support then maybe you could try installing windows 7 RC in a separate partition (currently the ultimate version is a free download that expire in august 2010), then downloading the winxp compatability solution from the microsoft website.

I cannot comment whether this solution will work for you, or what performance hit you will notice with the software. As i notice it is video editing it might not be ideal, but one of those things you won't know until you try. If you do find it works, the minimum version you will need to get is win7pro. the home premium version does not support the xp compatabilty mode.

Hope this helps

Chris

0 Kudos
malinkuore
1 Nickel

Thanks for your patience and your effective instructions. With your help I managed to fix things in a satisfactory way.

0 Kudos