Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2014 14:00

Replacement DVD+RW worked once Inspiron 660s

Hi, My Inspiron 660s has been set up about a year. Several months in my CDRom stopped ripping normally - it could take up to an hour per track to rip. Then the CDs started playing in a very choppy way - impossible to listen to.

Dell support did a remote in and agreed that the player need to be replaced. I just recently replaced it (MATSHITA DVD+-RW SW830) and it worked exactly one time. Now, iTunes and Windows Media Player can read the tracks and the play function works - you just can't hear anything except for a brief second of audio here and there. It won't burn. I hesitate to get yet another replacement if it might be something else.

I know it's not the volume, speakers, etc. The driver is updated and the device is indicating as working properly.  I followed every trouble-shooting suggestion from microsft.com. I am attempting to download some Dell client diagnostic tool but the download doesn't seem to ever complete.

Any ideas out there?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 24th, 2014 16:00

Hi Rough December,

I'm thinking the same thing you are. Dell misdiagnosed the problem. Based on the symptoms, I would not have guessed a bad drive.

I assume you've got Windows 8. What I want you to try is try a registry fix. Hit the Windows key and type the following, then hit enter:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

January 3rd, 2015 11:00

P.S. - I did right click and then run as an administrator. Also, I have windows 8.1.

Thanks. :emotion-7:

January 3rd, 2015 11:00

Hi, thank you for such a quick response, sorry I was slower on my end. When I hit the Windows key, the windows start page comes up. I clicked on the background, typed in what you wrote, and the search did find it - but then what?

:emotion-10:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2015 03:00

Sorry, I left out an important detail.

Hit the Windows key and type CMD, which opens a command prompt. Then enter the following, then hit enter:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

January 4th, 2015 13:00

Thank you! Unfortunately it says ERROR: Access is denied. This doesn't make sense since I am the administrator and believe that I am logged on as such.

:emotion-18:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2015 16:00

When you search CMD, right click and select run as administrator.

January 11th, 2015 07:00

Am I driving you nuts yet? "The system cannot find the path specified." is what comes up. I copied/pasted then proofread so know I didn't mistype. Boo!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 11th, 2015 17:00

January 19th, 2015 13:00

Yeah, I had already been there and tried all those steps before posting to this forum. Oh well! I will find someone to come look at it. I appreciate the time you have taken to try and help me. =)

No Events found!