Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2009 07:00

Replacement hard drives -wrong capacity recorded.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The original 250GB hard drive in my Dell Dimension 9150 pc has recently been replaced with a Seagate Barracuta 320GB drive. The three partitions including all data were restored using an external hard drive and Acronis True Image Home 2009.

Whereas Disk Manager correctly identifies the new drive by model number and I am satisfied that all my former contents have been effectively and accurately restored, Windows “C” states that I am still operating on a 250 GB drive and not on the capacity of the new drive which is 320GB.

Please is there a reasonably simple method by which I may correct this error without causing my pc to malfunction?

From reading fellow subscribers’ contributions it seems that there may be a proportion of the new drive’s capacity that has not been allocated when the partitioning took place. Please can that type of situation be corrected or would it mean starting from the beginning again as I have no previous knowledge of portioning?I seem to recall that the engineer who installed the replacement drive had to briefly use the Dell Reinstallation DVD to create a partition on the new hard drive so as to allow him to carry out the restoration of the True Image created by Acronis.

Thank you.

coltaboyone.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 21st, 2009 08:00

Did you enable the option to resize the partition upon restore?

27 Posts

December 21st, 2009 10:00

Did you enable the option to resize the partition upon restore?

Sorry unable to clarify that as the installation was carried out by a third paty Dell appointed engineer.

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 21st, 2009 11:00

Hi, coltaboyone:

Use disk management to determine the size of the drive and if there is unpartitioned space. If you have a 250GB partition on a 320GB drive, then you have about 70GB (actually less) that is not yet being used. All you need to do is create a partition using this extra space and you can use it for whatever purposes you need.

2.2K Posts

December 21st, 2009 12:00

hi,

Osprey is correct that using disk management should allow you to create another partition using the non allocated space.

If you want only the partitions you originally had, you could use the image you have and place it on the new disk using a proportional setting as ejn mentioned.

To see how to do so using True Image 2009, read chapter 13 in the user's manual, linked below.

Good luck.

True Image 2009 Users Manual

27 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 11:00

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Thank you sincerely all contributors to this posting.

Basically, my new 320 GB hard drive has already been partioned by the Dell appointed engineer and I do not relish starting afresh in case I mess things up. These partitions are to be found via the Utilities Section of Acronis T I Home 2009 and are shown as follows:-

Total Size         Dell Diagnostics

FAT 16            Windows “C”                    PC Restore                       Unallocated                                      Partition.                                                                                FAT 32

Partition

298.1GB          54.88MB           228.1GB                              4.642GB                        65.27GB.        

I suppose that what I am really seeking is a relatively simple method by which I may enlarge the existing Windows “C” partition by including in it the current unallocated 65.27 GB.

I am sorry if I may have confused the issue and led you to believe that I should follow the cloning procedure for a new disk as detailed in Acronis Chapter 13.

I was unaware that I would be allowed to create a further partition from the unallocated 65.27GB and I wonder whether there is a simple procedure dedicated to this specific requirement. Could it in some way be regarded as an addition to “C” partition?

I really appreciate all your endeavours to help me out.

Best wishes.

Hi, coltaboyone:

Use disk management to determine the size of the drive and if there is unpartitioned space. If you have a 250GB partition on a 320GB drive, then you have about 70GB (actually less) that is not yet being used. All you need to do is create a partition using this extra space and you can use it for whatever purposes you need.

27 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 13:00

Sorry but the figures in the above posting should have read as follows:-

TOTAL SIZE:  298.1GB

FAT 16 Partition(Dell diagnostics):  54.88MB

Windows "C"Partition:  228.1GB

FAT 32 Partition (PC Restore by Symantec):  4.642 GB

Unallocated: 65.27 GB

Thanks.

4.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

As your figures show, you have 65.27 GB unallocated. You could create a new partition on that in Disk management, then format the new partition (NTFS format is best). The new partition would then appear as an additional 'drive' in Windows Explorer (with whatever letter you choose to give it in disk management). You could use that to store your data (e.g. by moving your My documents folder to it - see help files. Or use it to store backups. Look in the disk management help file (index tab, create partition) if you don't know how to create a partition on the unallocated space.

If you want to expand C to include the unallocated space, you can't do that in Windows because C is your system partition, but you could use a third party partition manager.

27 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 11:00

Thank you very much for your reply JR.Your advice is most helpful.

Best wishes,

Nadolig llawen,

coltaboyone

Old Caerphilly Boys GT.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 11:00

And a Merry Christmas to you as well!

27 Posts

December 24th, 2009 02:00

To all those who have kindly given up their time to help me with my queries, may I wish them a sincere merry christmas and all good wishes for the new year.

Cheers,

coltaboyone

27 Posts

December 24th, 2009 10:00

Dear JR.,

Just one further question if I may.I naturally realise that it may take you some time to reply given the season.

Having created the new partition as detailed in your first paragraph and checked that it appears in Explorer as a newly named additional drive ,could a third party partition manager still use it (although now newly formatted and partioned)to expand "C" as mentioned in your second paragraph?I accept from what you tell me that it would have been possible with 65.27GB of unallocated space but would its formatting and partioning have made any difference to its manipulation?

Many thanks for your lessons.

Sincerely,

4.4K Posts

December 25th, 2009 09:00

Yes, most if not all third part partition managers could merge the newly created partition with the C partition (depending on the app, it might first delete the partition, then add the thus created unallocated space to C; in that case you would need to make sure that the partition did not have any files that you want to keep on it).

27 Posts

December 26th, 2009 04:00

Thank you JR for the clarification.

I am very grateful for all your guidance.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday and all the best in 2010.

coltaboyone

No Events found!