Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2013 10:00

Replacing Dell HDD with another brand

The hard drive on my Dell Studio XPS 7100 is failing. If I replace it with another brand hard drive will I still be able to reinstall/download the original software from Dell?

Would it be better to backup everything and and then reinstall/recover? I'm just not familiar with how to go about replacing a hard drive and preserving what I have.

Thanks for any input.

3.1K Posts

May 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi Beamhillrd,

Dell systems are shipped with built-in diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Did you run the diagnostics using the F12 menu?

If not , I would suggest you to run the on-board Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu. Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/17hZikk.

Please reply with the exact operating system installed on your computer so that I can provide you with appropirate recovery options.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2013 16:00

Dell doesn't make its own hard drives, so feel free to source a third party replacement.

5 Posts

May 10th, 2013 07:00

Dell-Appu S,

Thanks for your reply. I ran the diagnostics on F12 and received error code 2000-0146 along with message "Hard drive 0 self test log contains previous errors".  Reset BIOS to defaults and got the same. Also got error 0F00-065D self test read error. OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

I did have same error message/problem (PC would freeze at start up) about one year ago and ran a utility to repair the HD, (maybe with CKDSK? I dont really remeber what program) and the PC seemed to work fine till now. A few days ago got the Blue Screen noting a possible HD failure so am lookin g to replace HD.

Also thinking next step should really be a full backup, looking at Seagate Backup Plus Desktop External Hard Drive - 2 TB USB 3.0 to do this, then replace HD, but I am not sure how to choose a new HD or how to install (no problem with physical intallation, I can do that, but don't know how to install software, OS, files, etc.).

Advice is greatly appreciated.

May 10th, 2013 08:00

do you have the Dell installation disks? i'm guessing not? also check it's not under warranty, save the soct of another drive.

a good option would be to take an "Image" of the drive and then install that on  the new hard drive. look at Macrium Reflect (its free).

PS - have you thought about using an SSD  - that will also make it quicker!

yes thats right, an image takes a snapshot at that moment in time all files and settings etc will be copied.

anything else - pm me :)

5 Posts

Dell-Appu S,

As I expected, need to replace HD. Out of warranty by about 12 months. :emotion-6:

So after replacing HD, do you recommend using Dell installtion disks, or should i create an image of the current HD and reinsatll image.  Thanks.

3.1K Posts

Hi Beamhillrd,

Thank you for the response. Error code 2000-0146 along with 0F00-065D implies that the hard drive has gone bad and would require replacement. Re-installing the operating system would not help. If the system is able to boot into Windows, please ensure to save your important data.

Let me know if you system is in warranty; would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

Hi JOldfield101,

I do have Dell installation disks. So if I do this method, I would install the software, then reload personal files etc directly from backup.

Or, the "image" method using free Macrium Reflect is to create image on backup drive (or disk?) and install image on new drive. Does the image include all the files on the original HD?

And even if I install a new HD, the system will still start to the point where I can do an install? I guess it would have to.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2013 19:00

Also thinking next step should really be a full backup, looking at Seagate Backup Plus Desktop External Hard Drive - 2 TB USB 3.0 to do this, then replace HD, but I am not sure how to choose a new HD or how to install (no problem with physical intallation, I can do that, but don't know how to install software, OS, files, etc.).

You can use a drive imaging utility like Acronis TrueImage to "clone" your existing hard drive over to the new one, which will spare you from having to reinstall any software, operating system or otherwise.

3.1K Posts

May 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi Beamhillrd,

If the system is booting to the desktop and you are able to work on the computer, then you can create System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup which you can later use to re-install the operating system on your computer. Please refer to the link on how to create the System Recovery Discs http://dell.to/10dILMs.

Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Posts

May 15th, 2013 12:00

I am looking to replace the bad HDD (1 TB original HDD) with Toshiba HDKPC09 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM/64MB 3.5" Internal SATA Hard Drive. Is this compatible with my XPS Studio 7100?  Tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>.  Thanks.

3.1K Posts

May 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi Beamhillrd,

This hard drive supports 2TB hard drive. Toshiba HDKPC09 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM/64MB 3.5" Internal SATA Hard Drive should be compatible on your computer.

Please reply if you have any questions.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 00:00

I am looking to replace the bad HDD (1 TB original HDD) with Toshiba HDKPC09 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM/64MB 3.5" Internal SATA Hard Drive. Is this compatible with my XPS Studio 7100?  Tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>.  Thanks.

Hard drives have standard interfaces, so it's compatible. However, to maximize your XPS 7100 performance, I suggest adding an SSD as well for use as a boot drive; the boost in performance is amazing. (I tucked the SSD into my XPS 7100's floppy bay.)

1 Message

June 2nd, 2016 13:00

My hard drive on my XPS has gone bad (I was not able to use the F12).  So I brought it to a 3rd party who tested the drive and said the drive has gone bad.

I have a full backup of my data as I backed up regularly.  My question is, once I get my computer back, do I use the Dell Recover Discs that I created when I purchased the system?  and do I just insert them into the drive after I power up the computer?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 05:00

Insert the first disc, power up and press F12 to boot from it.  Follow through the recovery installation.

No Events found!