Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2014 05:00

Replacing Internal SSD Disk

I have a Dell Precision M2400 with an internal 250 GB SSD which was almost full.

I bought a Samsung EVO 840 SSD disk (1TB) to replace it.
As first step I put it in a SATA-to-USB box and attached it as an external USB drive. I used Windows tools to format it. I used Samsung tools to clone the original drive to that one.

Then I replaced the internal disk by this new one but the computer was not recognizing it. So, I used the Recovery Disk (DVD) that I created before shutting down - it recognizes the external usb disk that has the backup of the operating system, but does not recognize the new internal disk.

One of the tests I made gave the error code 2000-0150. It seems that it means that does not find the drive there.

Is there any incompatibility between the computer and this disk?
How can I make it to become the system disk?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 13th, 2014 17:00

Hi Ruijorge,

Does the BIOS recognize the 1TB SSD?

5 Posts

April 15th, 2014 16:00

Hi osprey4,

No, it does not recognise the disk.

I have the BIOS A2B.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2014 17:00

Ok, I think you mean A28, which is the most up to date BIOS.

Are you connecting the new SSD to SATA port 0?

5 Posts

April 20th, 2014 09:00

I replace the internal SATA disk by the new one. I guess it is port 0.

Its setup (on BIOS setup) is AHCI. But I also tried with SATA and does not recognize at all.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 20th, 2014 12:00

Make sure you've physically connected the drive to the system - most hard drives are 9.5 mm and most SSDs are 7 mm -- you may need to use a shim (usually included with the SSD) to allow the solid state drive's power and data connectors to physically connect to the mainboard.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2014 13:00

I am replacing an SSD by another SSD, and the previous one was working fine (it came with the laptop).

I opened the back lid of the laptop to confirm that it is on the correct place, and I feel it getting into the connector. So I am pretty sure that it is in the correct position and correctly connected.

April 20th, 2014 22:00

I just downloaded & cloned my hard drive with Macrium Free ( for 30 days ) onto USB external Transend hard drive. You can restore the clone on a new hard drive with the software.

As a 'bonus ' you can also 'boot up ' ( F12 ) the cloned drive  & use it as separate OS drive.  So now I have a new internal hard drive &  USB back up that runs like a separate computer. My new drive was a Dell.

Try the software program. Use thier tools to both format & clone. It's  Free ... takes a long time - If Contact Samsung & see if they are having any issues. watch the videos on You tube for instructions. very easy just click clone. also...  Macrium will delete any partitions on your USB drive & you will lose it. 

5 Posts

April 21st, 2014 14:00

Well... Thank you for your note but that would not solve my problem - I already cloned the old drive. The problem is that Dell laptop does not recognise the new drive

No Events found!