Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 8th, 2011 07:00

Replacing Raptor Hard Drive with Icepack

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 Small Form Factor desktop.  The WD800ADFS-75SLR2 hardrive failed and must be replaced.  It's no longer under warranty and I can't find a replalcement hardrive on the Dell parts site.  I did find a used WD1600ADFS-75SLR2 drive, but have not figured out how to remove the icepack/ heatsink from the failed drive and put it on the replacment drive so I can remount the new harddrive.

Western Digital hasn't been any help as they say any attempt to remove the icepack will void the warranty (which I don't have anyway)

Can anyone tell me how to remove the icepack without damaging it?  I did find a WDSL002B icepack on the internet, but it appears to be for 2.5" laptop drives.  Besides, I'd rather not have the added expense of replacing the icepack as well as the hard drive

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 9th, 2011 09:00

Hi jerry_g8,

I see no one has responded. Have you tried calling Dell tech support anyway?

3 Posts

December 9th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for checking.  I actually got this one solved by stopping in a local computer shop and just asked if they could tell me how to remove the icepack.  The tech did it on the spot in about 30 sec.   It's all in knowing what to do.  He just released the icepack by gently but firmly prying the two blue tabs out and down. Presto, that's all there was too it.  I had played around with these tabs, but didn't put enough pressure on them to release the icepack as I was afraid of breaking the hard plastic tabs until I saw how it was done.  I don't understand why Western Digital couldn't have shared that information other than saying it was against their warranty policy

Consider this problem solved!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 9th, 2011 14:00

Excellent! Good to hear it was that easy.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 12th, 2011 10:00

It voids the warranty on the drive removing it from the cooling solution.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2011 10:00

Dear SpeedStep

You missed the point of my post.  I was merely wanting to remove the icepack from the failed drive and put it back on the replacement drive.

This issue should have been listed as Answered as was posted a few days ago.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 12th, 2011 11:00

Go to your local Shop is not the answer.

Dell does provide detailed documentation for each model

I disagree completely.

The ICEPACK on a RAPTOR Drive is a heatsink and should never be removed.

The Plastic Drive Caddy for Optiplex 745's is well documented.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Op745/en/UG_en/index.htm

Drives<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Drives

Dell™ OptiPlex™ 745 User's Guide

Hard Drive

Replacing a Hard-Drive Fan (Only Required for Certain Configurations)

Optical Drive

Floppy Drive and Media Card Reader

Your computer supports:

• One SATA (serial ATA) drive

• One floppy drive or Media Card Reader

• One SATA optical drive

1. Lift the drive out of the computer, careful not to pull the cables still attached to it.

securing tabs (2)

hard drive

1. Disconnect the power and data cable from the drive.

power cable

SATA data cable

Installing a Hard Drive

1. Check the documentation for the drive to verify that it is configured for your computer.

NOTICE: To avoid damage to the drive, do not set it on a hard surface. Instead, set the drive on a surface, such as a foam pad, that will sufficiently cushion it.
  1. Unpack the replacement hard drive, and prepare it for installation.

2. If your replacement hard drive does not have the plastic drive bracket attached, remove the bracket from the existing drive by unsnapping it from the drive.

release tabs (2)

drive

hard drive bracket

1. Connect the power and data cables to the drive.

power cable

S ATA data cable

1. Check all connectors to ensure that they are properly cabled and firmly seated.

2. Gently position the drive until it clicks into place.

release tabs (2)

hard drive

1. Check all connectors to be certain that they are properly cabled and firmly seated.

2. Replace the computer cover (see Replacing the Computer Cover).

3. If the drive you just installed is the primary drive, insert bootable media into your boot drive.

4. Turn on the computer.

5. Enter system setup (see Entering System Setup) and update the appropriate Primary Drive option (0 or 2).

6. Exit system setup, and reboot the computer.

7. Partition and logically format your drive before you proceed to the next step.

For instructions, see the documentation that came with your operating system.

1. Test the hard drive by running the Dell Diagnostics (see Dell Diagnostics).

2. Install your operating system on the hard drive.

For instructions, see the documentation that came with your operating system.

Replacing a Hard-Drive Fan (Only Required for Certain Configurations)

1. Follow the instructions in Before You Begin.

2. Remove the hard drive (see Removing a Hard Drive).

3. Turn the hard drive upside down, so that the hard-drive fan is visible in the bottom of the drive bracket.

4. To remove the hard-drive fan:

1. Unplug the fan.

1. Lift the release tab on the back panel of the fan.

2. Rotate the fan in the opposite direction from that indicated by the arrow on the back panel of the fan.

3. Lift to remove the fan and its back panel from the hard-drive bracket.

fan release tab

fan with fan back panel

power cable

hard-drive bracket

To replace the hard-drive fan:

1. Align the two pegs and the tab on the fan's back panel with the two corresponding peg holes and the slot in the fan itself and press the fan and its back panel together

1. Turn the fan upside-down, so that its backing faces up and align the triangle on the fan's back panel with the corresponding triangle on the back of the hard-drive bracket.

2. Rotate the fan and its backing in the direction of the arrow on the fan's back panel.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 12th, 2011 15:00

Speedstep,

I'm not sure why you're posting this information as the OP indicates the issue is resolved.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2011 05:00

Speedstep,

I'm not sure why you're posting this information as the OP indicates the issue is resolved.

1. Raptor ICEPACKS are metal not the DELL Plastic Carrier.  The OP said he had a Western Digital Raptor Drive with ICEPACK.

2. Dell DOES in fact document how to remove the plastic Drive carrier.

"Thanks for checking.  I actually got this one solved by stopping in a local computer shop and just asked if they could tell me how to remove the icepack.  The tech did it on the spot in about 30 sec.   It's all in knowing what to do.  He just released the icepack by gently but firmly prying the two blue tabs out and down. Presto, that's all there was too it.  I had played around with these tabs, but didn't put enough pressure on them to release the icepack as I was afraid of breaking the hard plastic tabs until I saw how it was done.  I don't understand why Western Digital couldn't have shared that information other than saying it was against their warranty policy"

The Plastic Dell Drive Carrier is NOT a Western Digital ICEPACK.

Removing the ICEPACK heatsink from a Raptor Drive VOIDS THE WARRANTY of the Drive Immediately.

WD VelociRaptor, IcePack, RAFF, and NoTouch are trademarks of Western Digital Corporation.

Dell Does document how to remove the drive for each Type Tower, Desktop, SFF, USFF of 745.

From WD

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/rmapacking.asp

Internal Hard drives: Remove and retain all add-on items (i.e., cables, software, adapters, dongles brackets, installation guides and/or rails) prior to shipment. We are not responsible for these items and cannot return them. We will only return the Western Digital items specified on the RMA.

WARNING: Do Not remove the Ice Pack /Sled/Heat Sink attached to the VelociRaptor hard drive(s).

If the drive is removed from the Ice Pack the warranty on the drive will be voided.

No Events found!