Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2010 16:00

SD card stuck in CD drive - Dell Studio Laptop

Last night I stupidly put my SD camera card into my laptop CD drive. It was dark and I pushed it into the first hole I found.

I've tried jiggling it out but it seems to be wedged in there. When I put a disk in it makes a noise as if something is preventing the disk reader from rotating. I think it can still read CD's and seems undamaged because it recognises that there isn't a disk in there when I click on the disk drive icon in 'my computer' and it eventually allows me to eject them.

I'm just wondering if it is an easy job to remove the SD card and will it be covered under my warranty as the laptop is only a month old. 

If I called Dell in the morning would they need to take the laptop away for a week to do the job and in doing so would the optical reader be broken? 

I am also concerned that if I send it away to Dell, they wouldn't send me the SD card back. I have precious photos on it that I would need to have back.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

881 Posts

September 5th, 2010 16:00

Don't laugh I have seen this kind of thing work: Get an old CD/DVD, tightly as possible wrap some scotch tape on the edge -> sticky side out, then gently go fishing for the SD card. I would do this with the system OFF! you don't want the drive to suck in the tape and make matters worse than they already are.

Be careful and you might just get lucky.

Jeff :emotion-22:

January 13th, 2011 23:00

Any one from dell support who wants to answer this?  I have the same problem that is why i looked for a solution in the internet and found this site.

I hope Dell will give an answer. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2011 05:00

Did you see Jeff's post?

1 Message

February 27th, 2011 16:00

did you ever get it fixed? I just did the same exact thing stupidly... and now I'm kicking myself trying to find out how to fix it. I have dell accidental damage protection but I really just can't loose my computer for a couple weeks to send it to them to fix.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2011 09:00

I just tried it with the tape and a business card and it worked!

1 Message

May 26th, 2012 15:00

i did the same thing. the sd cartd slot is right next to the cd drive and i put the sd card in without looking. i will try the tips! thanks!

1 Message

June 4th, 2012 17:00

I did the same thing and my son said probably nobody else ever did something so stupid...but I had him wrap tape around a credit card and out popped the SD card.  Thanks!!

1 Message

March 7th, 2017 21:00

Smart people at Alienware have decided to build the CD-ROM slot right below the SD card slot. I faced the same issue with my wife's SD card. She was about to kill me! This is what worked for me:

1. Have someone hold the laptop high such that the CD-ROM slot is facing down toward the ground.

2. Using a flash-light light-up the slot from below, so that you can see what's going on in there!

3. Take a kitchen knife (smooth edge, no teeth!) and gently run it through the slot. The idea is to fish out your card without harming any of the internal organs of the CD-ROM drive!

I did this and my SD card peeked through the slot right away!  Phew... :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 8th, 2017 12:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev

No Events found!