Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2009 22:00

SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 0

HI,

I AM USING DELL STUDIO 15 AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM WHENEVER I RESTART MY SYSTEM IN THE PAST FEW DAYS......

SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 0: ST9500420ASG-(S1)

HOW SHOULD I DEAL WITH IT.....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 13th, 2010 03:00

Remove the drive, mount it in a 2.5" external hard drive case, and attach it to a working system by USB.  You may yet be able to read some or all of your data.  If you cannot, you'll then have to decide whether professional data recovery is worth the cost - - it can run well into a few thousand dollars, though.

When you replace the drive, make sure you purchase a backup external hard drive so that you aren't faced with this potentially very painful situation in the future.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 14th, 2009 07:00

If you do not have a backup, MAKE ONE immediately.

If you're under warranty, call Dell and they'll ship you a replacement drive.

If you're out of warranty, you'll need to purchase a 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive to replace your dying one.

7 Posts

October 19th, 2009 12:00

If you get another HDD don't go with the Seagate drives.  I have the Seagate ST9500420ASG in my wifes XPS Studio 13 and it is bad.  I have seen all over the internet that those Momentus 7200.4 drives are bad.  I will steer clear of Seagate.  Western Digital Scorpio Black are probably the best drives made now, althought the max size right now is 320 GB.  Apple is having big time problems with the Seagate and Dell here is too.

February 12th, 2010 12:00

I am having this same problem with that error message.

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to Continue

My question is this: How can I make a back-up if I can't even get onto the computer?! Does back up mean back it up on a computer or back it up off the laptop???

I have things on there that I would really like to back-up & get off that computer so that I don't lose it, but I can't even get onto it.

When I press F1 to continue it take me to the Windows Recovery Screen, I follow it and then it stops loading...blue screen of death follows...

July 26th, 2014 09:00

HI,

I AM USING DELL STUDIO 15 AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM WHENEVER I RESTART MY SYSTEM IN THE PAST FEW DAYS......

SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 0: ST9500420ASG-(S1)

HOW SHOULD I DEAL WITH IT.....

No Events found!