Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2011 11:00

SMART Short Self Test Timed Out

I got a warning when I ran the PC Checker from Dell Support Center on my 1720 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 that indicated the SMART Short Self Test Timed Out.  I have no idea what SMART is or what this warning is about.  Is this something I can correct?  Is it important and why?  Thanks, Chuck

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 25th, 2011 15:00

Not if it times out. If you want to check your hard drive, run the Dell diagnostics from your drivers and utilites disc.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 1st, 2011 16:00

Hi Chuckssite,

SMART is a disk drive montoring utility. Lots of people have trouble running those stupid Dell Support software tests, so my recommendation would be to disable them.

4 Posts

June 25th, 2011 15:00

I have same problem on the same laptop, so your saying we don't need to worry about this Smart short test that times out????

January 14th, 2012 05:00

thanks for the tip. I have a similiar problem with Windows XP on a Dell XPS desktop

1 Message

May 20th, 2013 09:00

Thanks so much for the info - sure takes a load off my mind.  I have a Dell XPS-L502; had it for a little over two yrs., and was going crazy thinking I had to replace the hard drive (as suggested in other posts).  Thanks again for the head's up!:emotion-21:

June 4th, 2013 07:00

Hey osprey4. I've had the same problem, but MOST importantly I want to know are you aware that this test is being run by PC-Doctor, Inc, software out of Reno, NV? I don't think they are affiliated will Dell.com. I think there is a case for copyright infringement here. Do you know anything about this?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi StLouisMan2,

Yes, I think Dell has a deal with them to provide this utility as part of the Dell support thing. However, from a pure diagnostic point of view, the results should be taken as tentative at best. The only way to really test a hard drive is by booting to something else, such as a CD or flash drive containing a diagnostic utility. The Dell diagnostics can be run from a CD or flash drive, but I prefer SeaTools or something else. I have personally seen instances when the Dell utility came up clean and SeaTools found a serious problem. I keep a bootable CD with SeaTools handy myself.

June 4th, 2013 16:00

Osprey4:

Thank you very much for explaining that. I was actually a little concerned that the PC-Doctor stuff might be a harmful program. Would you please explain what a "bootable" CD/DVD is? I would like to follow your advice with Sea Tools, but I don't know how to put it on a bootable disc. 

Thanks again, 

StLouisMan2 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2013 17:00

Go to the link I provided and download the ISO file for SeaTools for DOS. Burn the ISO to a CD and you can boot your PC using that disc and run the SeaTools diagnostics. It will work with Seagate, Maxtor and WD hard drives (that I've tried).

June 4th, 2013 20:00

Osprey4:

Thank you once more.  This was my lucky day.:emotion-2:

StLouisMan2

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 5th, 2013 05:00

Glad to help.

No Events found!