Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2005 22:00

SONY DW-D56A DVD +/-RW Not burning at 8x

I'm really starting to get quite annoyed with Dell. My Inspiron 9100 shipped with only a +R drive, when I ordered a +/- drive... and when the replacement arrived, I find that it will not burn at 8x (I don't even get the option to select 8x in Nero, and the InfoTool says the drive will only burn up to 4x despite Dell's specs saying 8x for +R media!).

I rang Dell and they told me that (and I quote) "an 8x drive reads at 8x and writes at 4x".

I spoke to Terry Howard (Senior Tech) after many frustrating lies by the first person. He wasn't much more helpful, and was not able to give me a list of any media that would burn at 8x!

Surely selling a drive as 8x would be against some Trade Descriptions Act if it were not able to even attempt to burn at 8x?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Dan

2 Posts

March 11th, 2005 21:00

Sad, but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who thinks what I'm dealing w/ is insane. I just purchased an Inspiron 1150 w/ the same drive u mentioned. Nero says it can only burn up to 4x. Called a tech, David @ ext 7243 709, and he tried 2 convince me that the problem is w/ Nero. So I reinstall the infantile software SonicRecordNow and burn a movie in 15 mins or so (4X!) and call David back 2 advise him of my findings. Of course he has not returned my call as promised to ship me a drive that actually burns at the speed it lists. I have spent the last few hours surfing the web, flashing the heck out of my drive, using omnipatch, multiple firmwares etc. and I finally got Nero to show 8x, but the drive still didn't burn at 8x. 15 minutes into the burn it was only 35% complete so I turned the cpu off. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!...

May 24th, 2005 02:00

Well, I also JUST found out after tons of research that my sony drive does not also burn at 8X, but rather only at 4X and mostly at 2X. I have checked updates for the firmware, but I am sure there will NOT be an update for it. I am sure by looking at how many reads these links have had, that other people are experiencing the same thing. This drive is also suppossed to be a dual burner, has anyone ever tried to burn a dual layer disc? Has anyone ever got this drive to upgrade to an 8X capacity? If the mediator is reading this, could you please find and post an answer for us, to help solve this dilema? It sure would be appreciated.
No Events found!