willdloy
1 Copper

SSD Not booting

Jump to solution

Hello:

I have
installed a new Samsung SSD 840 Pro and can not get it to boot on startup. I
cloned the drive with the Samsung Migration software without any problem. I changed
the setup to boot first from the SSD and then the old HDD. It passes the SSD
and boots from the old hDD everytime even though I have made every change that
I could see without any success. The SSD seems to be recognized in device
manager and the software was automatically downloaded after the first startup. Ideas
and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Studio XPS 8100,
i-7, Win7

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: SSD Not booting

Jump to solution

Hi Will,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. It seems windows image you have on the SSD is corrupt.

It would be better if take an backup from the hard-drive,restore it to SSD and then check again.

You can also manually install windows on SSD to confirm its functionality.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

skylarking
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Have a look at this post and follow the two links i provided. These links will give you more of an idea how best to migrate a HDD to the SSD using windows only applications.

In any case, the tool you used may have missed cloning the100MB or 200MB or 2GB System boot partition that normally is created with Windows 7.Here is my SSD (Disk 0) which has the OS installed as seen from Disk Manager

skylarking
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Willdloy, while i'm not familiar with your XPS 8100 it's likely you have an Intel chipset supporting RAID and your BIOS settings allow for either ATA or RAID configuration. What this means is that the chipset will be presented to the OS either as devices under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" or as device under "Storage controllers" within the device manager itself.

Now when in ATA mode, this means that your HDD will be shown as connected to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller within the device manager and the device will use the "atapi.sys" driver which is not ideal for SSD's as TRIM is not passed with this driver.

When in RAID mode, this means that your HDD will be shown as connected to the Storage Controller (in my case Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Chipset SATA RAID Controller) within the device manager and will use the "iaStorA.sys" driver which (like "msahci.sys") will support SSD and their TRIM functionality while also supporting RAID 0 connection.

You can see where your HDD/SSD is actually connected using the device manager and setting the "view" to "device by connection". Hereis what mine looks like.

As you can see, my Intel SSD is listed as "ATA Intel SSDSC2CW12 SCSI Disk device" while my 2x HDD in RAID 1 is listed as "Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device". The friendly name shown for the SSD/HDD/ODD includes "SCSI disk device" which is due to the version of Intel RST drivers that i am using, it seems that pre version 11.4 the friendly name was a little more logical and didn't reference ATA or SCSI in the string. It's nothing to worry about though.

So there is no fault or issue to worry about by not having AHCI setting in BIOS and really you don't need to force any driver to be used via registry settings as some seem to like to do. Keep it simple is best. Also, no need to buy a SATA3 card as you wont likely see much of a boost from the on-board SATA2 (3gb/s) interface in normal use... And adding a SATA3 PCIe card will not magically make an AHCI setting appear in BIOS...

Jump to solution

Hi Will,

Its great to hear that system is booting from SSD now. And boot time for the system has been improved significantly. You may upgrade to Sata 3 with your convenience.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

10 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi willdloy,

Kindly try to boot the system by pressing F12 key at the start up to and selecting SSD on one time boot menu. Also, disable the internal HDD and then try to boot with the SSD only.

Then, let us know if you receive any error message. Please perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
willdloy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello:

I did as you instructed and here are the results:

F12 at start – selected SSD as boot device Result received message “BOOTMGR is missing”

After disabling the HDD result - “BOOTMGR is missing”

I hooked the HDD back up selected it as boot and it then booted as normal.

Will

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Will,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. It seems windows image you have on the SSD is corrupt.

It would be better if take an backup from the hard-drive,restore it to SSD and then check again.

You can also manually install windows on SSD to confirm its functionality.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

skylarking
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Have a look at this post and follow the two links i provided. These links will give you more of an idea how best to migrate a HDD to the SSD using windows only applications.

In any case, the tool you used may have missed cloning the100MB or 200MB or 2GB System boot partition that normally is created with Windows 7.Here is my SSD (Disk 0) which has the OS installed as seen from Disk Manager

willdloy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you both for your replies. It seems that you both were right as I recloned the drive and it booted up as it should have. The only problem is that I do not have the option in the settings to use AHCI instead of raid. I tried setting to ATA and it would not boot. If I install a SATA 3 card will that give me to AHCI option in settings which is recommended?

Any way I am now booting in 35 second instead of 2 mins and 35 seconds as before. I am quite happy with the speed of the computer but may get a new SATA3 card if I can find one that is inexpensive and recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Will

0 Kudos
skylarking
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Willdloy, while i'm not familiar with your XPS 8100 it's likely you have an Intel chipset supporting RAID and your BIOS settings allow for either ATA or RAID configuration. What this means is that the chipset will be presented to the OS either as devices under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" or as device under "Storage controllers" within the device manager itself.

Now when in ATA mode, this means that your HDD will be shown as connected to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller within the device manager and the device will use the "atapi.sys" driver which is not ideal for SSD's as TRIM is not passed with this driver.

When in RAID mode, this means that your HDD will be shown as connected to the Storage Controller (in my case Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Chipset SATA RAID Controller) within the device manager and will use the "iaStorA.sys" driver which (like "msahci.sys") will support SSD and their TRIM functionality while also supporting RAID 0 connection.

You can see where your HDD/SSD is actually connected using the device manager and setting the "view" to "device by connection". Hereis what mine looks like.

As you can see, my Intel SSD is listed as "ATA Intel SSDSC2CW12 SCSI Disk device" while my 2x HDD in RAID 1 is listed as "Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Device". The friendly name shown for the SSD/HDD/ODD includes "SCSI disk device" which is due to the version of Intel RST drivers that i am using, it seems that pre version 11.4 the friendly name was a little more logical and didn't reference ATA or SCSI in the string. It's nothing to worry about though.

So there is no fault or issue to worry about by not having AHCI setting in BIOS and really you don't need to force any driver to be used via registry settings as some seem to like to do. Keep it simple is best. Also, no need to buy a SATA3 card as you wont likely see much of a boost from the on-board SATA2 (3gb/s) interface in normal use... And adding a SATA3 PCIe card will not magically make an AHCI setting appear in BIOS...

Jump to solution

Hi Will,

Its great to hear that system is booting from SSD now. And boot time for the system has been improved significantly. You may upgrade to Sata 3 with your convenience.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Strategerizer
1 Copper

RE: SSD Not booting

Jump to solution

Wildly, so found this post with what seems to be theway you end up moving ahead. So: SDD as OS drive, kept data using cloning sw (assumed provided by Samsung), no OS reinstall required, no need to get ACHI (as our XPS 8100 does not support) and all working well and you're getting faster PC. Correct? Any further advice before I start doing the same?

Planning on getting Samsung 840 Pro, top of the line (better than 840 EVO) and maybe overkill without SATAIII but maybe worthwhile given the higher supposed reliability and warranty. Planning on also getting a SATA III controller card so at least my data drives can get 6Gb speed. thought about getting a controller card supporting SATAIII and RAID 1 to stripe and use for some video editing but I think the PC will still have bottlenecks so may just rely on a single fast drive for video.

Any other feedback for me?

On a separate topic, since we share the same underlying computer guts, I wonder if you have experienced the same oddity when hooking up external eSATA docks. I tried two docks, various cables and various drives and diagnostication sw - SMART short test always shows as failed but it is because somehow the sw cannot read the SMART data from the drives. If connect dock via USB, shows fine. I find it weird that sw cannot seem to access the drive via eSATA for the SMART test even though I am able to perform other operations like browse and move files from the connected drives. Either there is something odd about the XPS eSATA connection or I have some malfunction... Have you experienced this?

Thanks!

PS - same thing happens when using the software from Seagate or Western Digital on the INTERNAL SATA drive - SMART test fails because it cannot read it from the drive. This happens for any drive I connect through SATA/eSATA on my XPS 8100. I know the drives are OK because I extensively tested them outside of this configuration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Al Minor
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the assistance.  I have the Poweredge T320.  I used the Todo backup tool. Here is the link : https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-server.html The clone trial feature is good for 30 days.  I also had to remove the original raid drives temporarily.  This caused the windows 2012 to go into repair mode and then rebooted cleanly.  I then re added the original raid drives later.  Voila!!!  The performance boost is incredible!

0 Kudos