Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

SSD compatibility

I have a Dell XPS 630 with latest BIOS driver 1.0.13

I have removed my existing HD and replaced it with a SSD and installed Windows 8 Pro

I get frequent BIOS error message re missing file \Boot\BCD

These are erratic in their appearance and can sometimes take 5 reboots to overcome.

I have repaired and recreated my MBR but no change.

Any ideas ???

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 16:00

Hi philsm,

This article is for Windows 7, but the solution should work for you.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2013 11:00

Same issue here

1.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 11:00

Hi zuguzita,

Please share the system model and the operating system installed. Also share whether if you have you tried performing the steps mentioned on the link shared by osprey4.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2013 01:00

I have a XPS 630, D06X605 with Processor Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9300 (2.50Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB cache) nowadays with Windows 8 Pro 64bits. Also latest BIOS driver 1.0.13

Despite it's from 2008 I'm totally enamoured with this computer, I've upgraded the RAM to it's max capability to 8gb RAM (800mhz) and replaced the graphic card this year from my 1GB ATI Radeon 3870 X2 to an ATI 7850 because ATI not longer provides good support to 3000 series and some games and software started to fail due graphic issues. Same issue with the Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme (support not longer available at Creative).

I've bought an OCZ Vector SATA3 2.5 SSD 128GB (very good price, on sale). The SSD would have improved computer performance (despite SATA 2), but now it seems I need to replace the motherboard in order to achieve it.

The first time, my win8 detected it and I managed to format it successfully. Then I switched off, unplugged my other HDD, and start with an installation disk of win7 Pro, but it didn't show the SSD drive.

Repeating again the process several times, eventually win7 installation DVD detected my SSD, I formatted it again and I managed to install it and reboot successfully.

But rebooting from this time on, computer usually reveals a fake error with the win7 (I plugged the SSD in my husband's Computer, and it works fine), the repair solution mentioned didn't fix it, it fail to correct anything.

Using boot options from BIOS (F12) and a forced load from the SSD drive and then Advanced Boot Option - Disable Driver Signature Enforcement, usually load win7 successfully from the SSD.

It must be emphasized that Bios always detects the SSD but when windows starts to load, it fails and reboots. Using Advanced Boot Option - Debugging mode, win7 reveals to crack loading the disk drive.

I managed to upgrade the win7 to win8 Pro in the SSD. Win8 from SSD did not load in any way in my computer, but again, it loads fine in my husband computer without fixing the boot problem showed in mine.

I've given up, so it seems my husband have just won a new SSD drive!!

Sorry for my spelling and grammar errors, but I'm not English native.

Thanks,

1.5K Posts

August 1st, 2013 15:00

Hi zuguzita,

Apologies for a delayed reply. There can be compatibility issues at times which may cause this. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

No Events found!