Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2013 07:00

SSD upgrade for Inspiron 15R 7520?

Hi,

Can I upgrade the SSD for my Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 laptop? Currently I have the 30GB SSD which is great place to store the operating system for fast boot-up times and responsiveness, but 30 GB does make it difficult to add new programs. Currently I load as much as possibly can in terms of program files, Windows files, and user files on my HDD which leaves me about 4 GB clear.

What I would like to do is replace the SSD with something larger --- even 64GB would be a big help and 128GB would be ideal, but I'm not picking.

I know that there are larger SSD's out there for reasonable prices, but I don't want to screw up my mother board and I would rather have something that I know is compatible with my Dell laptop.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• 

3.3K Posts

April 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi PackerBronco,

In case you want to install the Operating system on the mSATA HDD, purchase HDD which is 128 GB in size and above. You can purchase any mSATA HDD which is available in the market.  

However before installing you will have to disable the Intel Smart Response Technology and also change the mSATA operation. Once the Acceleration is disabled, install the new mSATA HDD. Next restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F2 key every two seconds. This will open the ‘Setup Utility’ screen. Click ‘Advanced’  à Onboard Device Configuration à SATA Mode. Select AHCI from the SATA mode pop-up box.

Next install the Operating system on the mSATA HDD.

Please reply for further assistance.

April 7th, 2013 11:00

Thanks, I think I pretty much have all of that configured since I already have installed Windows 8 on the 30GB mSATA drive. I just wanted to confirm I could go larger w/out running into a config problem. Is there any difficulty is swapping out the current drive with the new one?

• 

3.3K Posts

April 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi PackerBronco,

There should be no difficulty in swapping the drive. You may follow the instruction given below:

During installation or removal of any hardware, always ensure that all data is backed up properly.
Disconnect any telephone, network, or USB cables from the computer.
Disconnect the computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets.
Remove the AC adapter, battery, Base door, Optical drive, Keyboard, Palmrest, system board, LCD assembly and daughter board from the system. Establish the Image.

Remove the single screw securing the mini SATA to the LAN board and then remove the mini SATA from the LAN board.
Please find the link below for the service manual:

http://bit.ly/ZOOS9j

April 29th, 2013 21:00

Hello PackerBronco,

How did you install windows 8 onto your mSATA SSD?

A re-install disk supplied by Dell?

Clone it from the original image on you hard drive?

or use a restore disk created by windows 8?(this way has been suggested to me by a dell advisor).

I am looking into using the mSATA SSD myself to run my OS and programs,

any help would be appreciated.

Beergoggles.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi beergoggles,

In order to install the Operating system on the mSATA drive, you will have to disable the acceleration from IRST application. Next in the BIOS screen change SATA to AHCI mode and the system is set for Operating system installation. You will have to use the discs sent by Dell for reinstallation.  

Revert for futher queries.

May 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi Sujatha,

How can I get hold of windows re-install media?

Was told by another Dell advisor that Dell does not send out re-install media anymore.

Thanks,

Beergoggles.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi beergoggles,

Please send me a private message with the system service tag to check the system details. Click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

May 3rd, 2013 02:00

Hi. I installed Win8 from a disk, so I now I have a dual-boot system with Win7 installed on the HD and Win8 installed on the mSATA. I will say that installing the mSATA is not for the faint of heart. You have to practically disassemble the entire laptop to get at the daughter board where the mSATA is inserted.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2016 21:00

I need to install an extra drive, an SSD, in my Dell Inspiron 7520. Do you have any instructions for that? Secondly, it appears that i have to use my optical drive tray (which is fine). What is the kit or parts that i would need to install to make space for another drive in the tray?

The SSD would be installed in the optical disk tray or it will replace the hard drive. Please note that I want my laptop to boot from SSD. Thanks

Regards

2 Posts

September 7th, 2019 06:00

Hi Sujatha,

Please let me know what is the max size of mSATA SSD will Dell Insipron 7520  will support?

Thanks in advacne

Rakesh

2 Posts

September 10th, 2019 21:00

Hi Sujatha,

is my service tag and even bought the daughter card with msata port as well.

Please let me know if I can get the existing daughter card replaced and followed by msata card adding.

Thanks in advance

Rakesh.

No Events found!