Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 9th, 2005 21:00

STEP by STEP Hard Drive Installation for DELL XPS GEN5

I am a newbie when it comes to opening up the computer and stuff. I don't understand words like registry adn bios. Having said that, i heard it's not rocket science to add a second hard drive. I don't understand Raid and I don't think I care for it. All I want to do is add a second hard drive for more storage. I've opened up the console and saw that there are only sata connectors. I'm planning to buy a 300gb sata150 from newegg. Once I plug it in, will there be some program that will guide me through? I would appreciate any info. If someone could write a step by step guide that would be great or any tips, advice, look-outs, that would be very appreciated. Thanx in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 9th, 2005 22:00

Hardware:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/sm/parts0.htm#wp1053780

Avoid Maxtor; remember to buy a SATA data cable (will come with the drive if a retail kit, otherwise, you'll need to buy one with the drive).

Then go into setup, enable the drive, and boot. Open the disc administrator (control panel/comp management/admin tools) and partition and format the drive.

September 9th, 2005 23:00

Thanx for the info. I also want to make one thing clear, I do not want to upgrade or put my operating system on this drive. I just want a second hard drive simply for storage. Does that change anything?

I understand formatting, but can someone once and for all explain partioning to me? What is its purpose?

2.7K Posts

lol, i read that most sata drives are only ide drives with a bridge chip lol... get seagate they are sata native drives all of them unlike maxtor which only started true sata during the maxtor 10 new drives

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

BrothersRobber.

After installing the second hard drive, enter the BIOS setup and check that the drive is enabled [on].  Then In order for windows XP to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.   These are generic instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows XP Disk Management, they are by Seagate, but apply to all brands.

Bev.
No Events found!