Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2011 14:00

Samsung PM810 Support

Hello,

I just upgraded my Studio XPS 16 with a Dell OEM Samsung PM810 SSD.  Can anyone tell me where I can find support for this drive (i.e. Firmware updates)?  

Thanks!

15 Posts

September 12th, 2011 14:00

Aerosnow, Samsung does not support the drive, only Dell does.  And from what I've gathered from reading the forums, Dell never puts out SSD firmware updates.  However, when they install the drive, or you buy one you get the latest firmware.  As the PM810 is the Samsung 470, it has the updates that count, and that is TRIM support.  Back in the day when the PM800 (original and slow, and about 1/2 did not have Trim) came out only about half had Trim support, so this is why it was important to exchange the drive if yours didn't support it as Dell never released firmware updates.  But the PM810 is a new drive and was made and designed when Trim was common to SSD's so you have nothing to worry about.  Just make sure you have the newest Intel Rapid Storage drivers installed and enjoy the drive.

Remember though, don't format the drive if you need to reinstall. It WILL SLOW it down a LOT.  You MUST SecureErase it using HDDErase as this will completely reset the drive.  Hope this helps!

14.4K Posts

May 12th, 2011 15:00

I don't know but have you tried the Samsung site?

Personally I would have chosen a third party ssd like Intel or crucial.

6 Posts

May 13th, 2011 02:00

I did contact Samsung and they told me that Dell is responsible for support on my particular SSD.  Truthfully I am not disappointed with the SSD,as it is a massive improvement over my old HDD.  I just like updating things when updates are available.  I see your point in investing in other SSD brands but I am a novice and I thought getting a Dell would be fine.  

My read/writes are pretty good I think:  235 mb/s and 185 mb/s.  

14.4K Posts

May 13th, 2011 03:00

Have a read of this to help optimise your ssd performance, http://thessdreview.com/Forums/ssd-optimization-guide/209.htm

2 Posts

May 31st, 2011 19:00

Is the Samsung PM810 (model MZ5PA256HMDR) the latest release of SSD's from Dell (part# J246M)? I ordered this SSD for my Studio XPS 16 on May 12/11 and I haven't received it yet. They advised me that they are not in stock and it's scheduled to be delivered Jun16/11. I would like to know if the PM810 are the new drives being shipped out now as I see that "Skidmarks" received a Samsung PM810.

The latest firmware applied to this drive should be ver. "AXM06D1Q" which has TRIM support.

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 15:00

Here is the link to Samsung's download centre for the MZ-5PA256: www.samsung.com/.../US

Firmware update, May 5/2011

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 10:00

I have already looked into the Samsung site and have contacted their support.  I tried to update the firmware through their site and it would not take.  Samsung support told me that since the SSD drive is Dell branded, they are responsible for support.  The drive is fine for the most part and the latest FW does support TRIM, so I guess I will cool my jets for a little while.  

15 Posts

September 9th, 2011 01:00

It's a bit of an old thread, but I figured I'd let you know that the PM810's newest firmware via Dell is "AXM08D1Q".  Also, when you have to reinstall your machine, make sure you do a secure erase - don't use the Windows format tool.  Only a secure erase will reset the drive back to factory specs and speed.

1 Message

September 12th, 2011 12:00

any link to download the firmware?

6 Posts

September 16th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the reply.  So you are saying that people with the "old" firmware will not be able to download the latest firmware from Dell?  That sucks.  Anyway, I have TRIM support so I guess I won't lose sleep over it. 

No Events found!