Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2016 17:00

Secondary Disk Drive no longer appears after Recovery

I recently went from having windows 10 installed to doing a full factory restore to Windows 8.1.  Luckily with Alien Respawn the actual recovery wasn't too bad but when I rebooted I lost contact with my storage drive.  Thinking that I may have gone insane that I didn't actually have it, I re-checked my system order from Dell and it's listed as 

XP5PX
HARD DRIVE, 1TB, S3, 5.4, 512E, STRAIGHT, M8BP2, 16
which isn't being detected.  I tried following a few internet solutions off forums to no avail.  Any ideas on where I should go from here?  I

3 Posts

March 7th, 2016 11:00

Technician came and fixed the problem.  There was a problem with either the hard drive cable itself or the cable connections.  It was also causing slow startups and shutdowns along with only detecting the hard drive sometimes.  Dell sent me a new cable and after the 5 minute install was back to performing as before.   

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 5th, 2016 04:00

Hi Devo84,

"No longer appears" where? There are many places where hardware is shown, device manager, disk management, etc. Try that.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2016 06:00

Both device manager and disk management weren't showing the drive.  When running a system check from the BIOS, it was only able to detect and test the C:\ as if the storage drive wasn't there. It wasn't under my pc, or in windows explorer nor could be accessed or found in cmd.  Oddly enough, after installing some windows updates the drive showed back up for a day only to disappeared again after a shutdown.  I had a support tech run remote access and check as well and there wasn't anything he could find either.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2016 16:00

Wow, interesting story. Good to hear Dell was on the job.

No Events found!