Highlighted

Securely and Permanently Data Deletion - Hard Drive ?

Hello,
Is there any way of securely deleting my sensitive hard drive data? It contains my personal images and videos. Currently, I am familiar with physical destruction method only. Is it a good way?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Platinum

RE: Securely and Permanently Data Deletion - Hard Drive ?

DANIEL_LOGAN679

Physically destroying a hard drive is the only way to absolutely and forever ensure that the data on it is no longer available.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
David Johnson2
1 Nickel

Hello Daniel,

If you are really concerned about your data and want to delete it forever, then you may try any of the below methods :-

1) Physical Destruction - Also, suggested by shesagordie. Just used a sledgehammer and smash powerfully on your hard drive. BANG.

Please note - Two drawbacks of this technique which I want to share with all

i) Creates lots of environmental waste. You are contributing on increasing the heeps of E-waste.

ii) Hard Drive can't be reused again.

2) Data Erasure Software - My personal favorite technique of permanent data erasing. The software works on the principle of overwriting with many passes. One such software which I often use is Bitraser, as it is secured and certified.

3) Degaussing - This method magnetically erases data from magnetic storage media. Always remember, degaussed hard drive can't be reused.

All best solutions are shared with poster, kindly acknowledge. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos

Apologise for delay in replying....

Thanks for the solution David, but could you please confirm, whether my Windows OS is affected due to this process?

0 Kudos
David Johnson2
1 Nickel

Hello Daniel,

Software driven approach of data eraser by above mentioned software, is independent of OS system. So it don't affect your Windows OS.

0 Kudos