Highlighted
1 Nickel

Slow boot time with Samsung SSD in Latitude E7440 ultrabook

Hello,

I recently bought a Latitude E7440, which came with a 128 GB SSD. I bought a 1 TB mSATA SSD (a Samsung 840 Evo) and installed it, then did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 onto it.

My old SSD booted Windows in about 6 to 7 seconds, but this new one takes more like 15, despite being a much faster drive on paper! It is also faster than the old one in Windows, it's only during startup that it's slow.

I've fiddled around with some settings, but nothing has made any difference.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
7- Gold

RE: Slow boot time with Samsung SSD in Latitude E7440 ultrabook

Hi 846,

Did you use the Samsung utility to optimize the drive settings? Not sure what settings you fiddled with so a bit hard to know what to suggest.

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

Thanks for your response... yes, I used the Samsung Magician utility to change the settings. I pretty much changed every setting in there that looked like it could make a difference!

The confusing (and very annoying!) thing is that it booted quickly with the old, "slow" SSD, but even with the exact same settings as that one (in terms of hardware, BIOS and software) the new, "fast" one runs slower!

(Sorry if I didn't word that very well!)

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

Any ideas, anyone? I know it sounds like a stupid thing and it's not a huge issue, but it is annoying me and I would like to get it sorted out before I start using the laptop.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

In all likelihood, this is an OS installation issue, not a problem with the SSD. So what you really need to explore is your slow boot. There are lots of tools and tutorials on troubleshooting slow boot times. That's where I would start.

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

That's what I thought at first, but I did a fresh installation of Windows using a DVD, so there is not anything in terms of software that would be slowing it down.

Despite that I have looked into it quite thoroughly with startup monitors etc and I haven't found anything.

Any other advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

Any more ideas, anyone? I'd like to get this issue sorted as soon as I can. Let me know if I need to include any more info.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7- Gold

There are two potential issues. First, the drive could be operating at a slower speed than specified. For that, the Samsung utility should be able to tell you what's wrong. Second, you could have some Windows startup issue unrelated to the drive. For that, you simply need to do some searching on the internet for troubleshooting steps. It could be something as simple as an incorrect network setting.

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

Thanks for your response! I don't think the drive is operating slower than it should, and the Samsung utility doesn't show up anything wrong - see the attached screenshot for more details.

I have looked into startup issues quite thoroughly and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong there.

Thanks for your help; please respond as soon as you can.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Since you've ruled out any problems, then it would seem that you're getting the expected performance from your new SSD. I have nothing else to suggest.

0 Kudos