Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 15:00

Sony CDX216E not writing to CD

Hi all,

I am using a Dell Dimension 8400 and Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Yesterday I discovered that though my Sony CD-RW CRX216E will read disks, it will not allow me to copy work files that I have created to blank CD-RW disks. I have tried to copy files using Windows XP, RecordNow, and Cheetah CD Burner. They all say the files have been copied to the disk. But when I use My Computer to open the disk (my drive D:), the disk is empty.

I have checked to see if there are more recent drives for the CD drive -- there are none that I can find. I did download the Dell testing software for the Sony CRX216E and tested the drive. The drive passed all tests.

I would appreciate any suggestions for how to fix this problem.

Thanks, Edie

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2009 11:00

Hi, Edie:

Here's my hunch--and it's just a hunch. I think your drive is working but your discs are not. Please try this again with a CD-R, not the CD-RW discs you've been using. Use the Windows CD burning wizard. Make sure you DO NOT have Sonic DLA running.

20 Posts

Osprey,

You were correct. When I tried writing the files to a CD-R disk using Explorer, the process worked.

So I guess this means CD-RW disks do not work with this drive?

The disk drawer does say "Compact Disk Rewritable" on it.

Best, Edie

20 Posts

Hi Osprey,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try and report back.

Edie

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2009 18:00

Edie:

Not all CD-RW discs are created equal. For newer drives, I recommend avoiding lower speed discs (1-4X). High speed (up to 12X) or ultra speed (up to 24x but harder to find) generally work better. I have a personal preference for Maxell made in Japan. I avoid Memorex at any speed.

20 Posts

April 17th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for your help, Osprey.

I haven't bought disks in a while, so I'll be a little more careful when I purchase them now.

No Events found!