shawns637
1 Copper

Re: Sony DW-Q58A DVD Drive Firmware

Cool...don't have a floppy...I have a CL MP3 player that should double as a USB drive AFAIK.

I've downloaded mtkFlash 1.8 already as well....I'm not sure how to make the USB drive bootable though.

I'll look around to try to figure it out.  If you know pls let me know how and I think I can take it from there.

S

0 Kudos
limaa
1 Copper

OK fine 🙂

1.)
Download that "http://www.xtremearts.net/neededfiles.zip" file and extract it to somewhere.
You will find a Windows 98 Dosfiles and Mtkflash v1.83c Folder inside.
Make sure your using mtkflash v1.83.c

2.)
Plug-in your mp3 USB stick and format it using the Format Tool from HP.
Make sure you don't Have any important files on your USB-MP3 Stick because everything will be erased.
- Install the HP USB Disk format tool for Windows using the Setup (sp27213.exe)
- Start the Tool from the created Shortcut on your Desktop (HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool)
- Select your USB-MP3 Stick as device
- Select File System "FAT"
- Let the volume label empty
- Select "Quickformat"
- Select "Create a DOS startup disk"
- Choose "using DOS system files located at" and point it to the "Dosfiles" folder that you extracted
 before
- Click Start and Format
- Click Yes to proceed with format
- Click OK and Close

3.)
- Copy all the Files from the "Dosfiles" folder to your USB-MP3 Stick root and overwrite everything!
- Make sure you can see all files because some of them have a system or hidden file attribute.
 Don’t change the attribute from the files just copy them!
 You can see all files by enabling in Tools/Folder Options/View the "show hidden files and folders" option and by
 "unchecking" the "Hide protected operating system files"

4.)
Copy the "Mtkflash folder" to your USB-MP3 Sticks root

5.)
- Restart your notebook with the USB-MP3 Stick plugged and enabled.
- Get into the Boot menu from Dell (on my notebook I need to press the F12 Key on start)
- Select something with USB Stick or USB Storage Device (I don’t know the name exactly)
Then you get into the good old Windows 98 Command Prompt.

6.)
In the command Prompt you type:
"cd mtkflash" to change into the mtkflash directory
then type:
"mtkflash.exe 2 R /B /M uds1.bin" to backup your firmware into a file named uds1.bin
Wait a minute or two until it gets back to command prompt
type:
"dir" and check if the file is really there

reboot your computer and mail me the file to --removed--
After testing the file I will put it online for others too!

THATS ALL! THANKS 🙂

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand my text 🙂

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ THIS TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you just have one Harddisk and one DVD Drive installed then your DVD Drive is installed as Primary Slave. Make sure you use the right number, but i think "2" is right for you!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MTKFLASH MANUAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Example for backup firmware: mtkflash.exe 2 R /B /M uds1.bin

1: Primary Master
2: Primary Slave
3: Secondary Master
4: Secondary Slave

W: Update ROM / Write
R: Backup ROM / Read
B: Binary mode
M: Merge Rom-Banks into one file

Message Edited by limaa on 04-09-200608:50 AM

Message Edited by limaa on 04-09-200604:48 PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
limaa
1 Copper

OK the Sony dw-q58a UDS1 Firmware is Online. Update using mtkflash 1.83c (DOS)

Get the firmware here: http://www.load.to/?d=PjXL8gDLop

Thanks shawns637!

0 Kudos
allaboutme
1 Copper

Limaa or others: Has anyone saved a copy of the firmware was that ripped and posted in this thread?
0 Kudos
limaa
1 Copper

0 Kudos
allaboutme
1 Copper

Limaa, thanks for coming through.  I reflashed and it's back to its original firmware!
0 Kudos
Lomanx
1 Copper

Hi all, I have a Inspiron 6000 with the Sony DW-Q58A drive and flashed it to the UYS3 firmware (previous firmware UDS1).  I backed up the original firmware with ltnfw thinking all is good.  Having using the UYS3 firmware, the drive acted superslow on reading and burning so I wanted to go back to the original firmware.  ltnfw didn't want to reflash the drive so I used MTKflash and that firmware I backed up.  Upon finishing the reflash, the drive no longer works and is undetected in BIOS.  After some reading, then I found out that the firmware I backed up is no good cuz ltnfw wasn't compatible with my drive all along.  I have tried to reflash using MTKflash but all I get is the "cannot initialize ide port" error message.  I have your copy of the "real" UDS1 firmware but I can't seem to get MTKflash to see the drive again.  Please help if you can.
0 Kudos
Lomanx
1 Copper

Great news!!  After a lot of trial and error, I theorized that maybe the Dell Inspiron 6000 disables the Secondary Master/Slave IDE ports when it doesn't detect anything.  I couldn't put the drive in a tower pc case cuz of the PAE 50pin port being different from a 80pin IDE cable, and I didn't feel like going out and buying one.  So I borrowed my friend's laptop and found out his DVD drive was the same size and shape and mines.  I installed his drive in my laptop, booted the computer to dos with a usb drive, then switched the drive with my dead drive.  To my surprise, mtkflash detected a drive there (it freezes when scanning ports, but at least it didn't say "cannot initial IDE port").  I then typed in the mtkflash prompt "mtkflash 3 w /b /m uds1_new.bin" and it started flashing!  After flashing what appears to be 15 or so banks, the drive blinks, ejects, and WORKS!  Sorry for my long story, but I'm just overexcited as I was stuck with this drive for days.  Thank you for those who made mtkflash and saving us from buying new drives.
0 Kudos
rvic
1 Copper

I have the same problem as limaa originally, coul anyone help me with the USD1 firmware? The previously posted links doesn't seem to work anymore. I would greatly appreciate any help...
0 Kudos
D-Watkins
1 Copper

yeah, same here! cd drive stopped reading cds (but reads dvds) after i got a bad disk burn

anyone got the firware.. and its ridiculous that a brand new xps accats up this way... i had this old school hp that never gave me any issues during years
0 Kudos