Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 4th, 2007 12:00

Stop Error during "Make Compatible"

I think my Roxio Creator LE (Dell Edition, build 2.4.32a) software has become corrupt... or there is a conflict with other programs.

After upgrading to Windows Media Player 11, I began to get an error upon exiting DLA function, which I was using for data backup.  I could live with this, because the process worked fine, and I only had to click OK to get past the errors.

But things have deteriorated.  The only major system change I've made was an upgrade from Norton Internet Security 2006 to 2007.  I had to disable some startup programs due to issues with this upgrade, but nothing relating the Roxio program.  Now, I can use DLA to backup data, but I get a blue screen (Stop Error) in the midst of the "Make Compatible" process, and have to reboot.

When I look at the disk, the data seems to be there.  But I don't like this new wrinkle.

I don't have a disk for the Roxio software.  I have installed a DLA update from the Dell site.  But I'm still getting the error.  This simple software was fine for my purposes.  I really didn't want to spend another $80 to buy Nero or the full Roxio package.

Any ideas???

15.3K Posts

May 4th, 2007 13:00

Hi Pmikkelsen,

Three things going on, yes I dare say Roxio is corrupt and a "clean uninstall/reinstall" may help solve the problem but alas no disc.
Also the update to WMP 11 has caused a number of issues with Roxio, rolling back to WMP 10 has helped some in the past.
Then the dreaded Norton 2007 update caused conflicts as well, so what started out as a pin hole, just expanded to a crater.
Honestly since you do not have the disc, your options are limited. I would start with rolling WMP 11 to 10 if you wish to try and save Roxio for now.
Then jump over to Sonic`s web site and try the PXEngine update and see if this helps.

The last option would be to contact Dell and request all your discs, not just the Sonic disc. See this link:
Dell CD`s

Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 13-0, article 24 for a "clean uninstall/install" of the software.

Or you can now remove all of the Roxio/Sonic software and try one of the free burning programs our Regulars have recommended, same CD/RW link, Section 7-5, article 16.
Wish I had more to offer...

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 05-05-2007 02:52 PM

27 Posts

May 5th, 2007 15:00

Hi again

I called Dell yesterday to ask for disks, but the rep had other ideas.  He had me run tests on system memory and hard drive... both passed without error.  He said that whenever you get a blue screen error, and you rule out hardware problems, the best solution is a complete system restore.  Not sure if he got it when I said I didn't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  This would be a HUGE undertaking (for me) and consider it an absolute last resort.  However, I agree with you that the pin hole has become a crater.  I feel certain this latest problem is related to my upgrade to NIS 2007.  But how to resolve it efficiently?

The Dell rep sent me a file to reinstall the Roxio software, which I did.  It's a slightly newer version (Creator Plus Dell Edition).  I no longer get the runtime error, which is good.  But I still get a Stop Error when I run "Make Compatible".  When I tested the new software yesterday, I got this code (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL   0x0000000A).  But today, after installing firmware updates for both the DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives, I am back to getting the original Stop Error code (0x0000007E).

I have one idea.  Initially, after upgrading NIS, I had a Runtime Error relating to ccProxy.exe.  I contacted Symantec and they told me I should have uninstalled version 2006 before installing 2007.  The instructions didn't say this, but now I wonder if the problems I had with NIS and with Roxio could be caused by a bit of the old NIS program still hanging around.  Do you think if I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS 2007, it might help?  Do you know if there is a removal tool out there to help me remove all remnants of NIS 2006?  I'm not very comfortable with editing the registry on my own...

One last question -- how do I find the PX Engine update?  I've been to the Roxio site, but could not find it...

I'm desperate and in need of advice!

Message Edited by pmikkelsen on 05-05-2007 12:34 PM

15.3K Posts

May 5th, 2007 17:00

Hi PM,

Yes, removing Norton 2006 before installing version 7 is recommended.
I just recently removed all of Norton 2006 and if you do it manually takes a little time. I used the Add/Remove Programs, then edited the registry to remove 38 (or 39) entries for Symantic.
Norton does have a Removal Tool that is suppose to work, you can check it out here:
Norton

Here is a good site I see our Regulars mention many times for the Stop Errors:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

And here is the link for the PX Engine update, down near the bottom of the page:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/recordnow/software_updates.html

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 05-05-2007 02:53 PM

15.3K Posts

May 5th, 2007 18:00

Hi Patti,

I do not have the Sonic software so I cannot say for sure but you may have to register at Sonic in order to download the file, do not quote me on that but here what is listed on their Support page:
Create a custom portal to Sonic’s technical support. Sign up for a Sonic Online account.
As for the full restore, you did not mention what system you have but there is a good chance you have the hidden the partition and can use the Dell PC Restore feature. This resets your system back to the day it was shipped from the factory, down side...it erases all your data, so you must have your important files, pictures, etc... backed up.
Take a moment, click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 12, article 12 and review the information on its use.
If you have your data backed up, the PC Restore would be quick and easy, although you will have the fun time of dealing with all those Windows updates again.

I myself like to tinker, so I would try the articles, and too I have our stuffed backed up, so a restall is nothing new. I have reinstalled XP on my sisters 8250 series so many times, I can almost do it in my sleep, she is a virus magnet !!

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 05-05-2007 09:16 PM

27 Posts

May 5th, 2007 18:00

Thanks Jeff

You didn't say... wondered what you thought of the advice I received re: full restore....  Is it me, or does this seem like an overreaction?

Found the Nortion removal tool.  I think this is worth doing, although I wonder if it will be quite as thorough as your manual process.  Were the registry entries obviously Symantec?  Is there a reliable way to find them all?  Just curious...

Tried the link to download that PX Engine update.  Couldn't get it to work.  When I clicked on the "download" link, to looped me back to the main support page.  In the dropdown box, I selected RecordNow, then clicked on "Download software Updates", which took me back to the page you linked me to.  If I click on the "download" link for PX Engine, it starts the loop all over again.  Am I doing something wrong here??

Will check out the posts re: stop errors...

Thanks for the feedback.

Best to you...
Patti

Message Edited by pmikkelsen on 05-05-2007 02:19 PM

27 Posts

May 5th, 2007 19:00

Hi Jeff

I have a Dimension 9150 with lots of RAM & huge hard drive.  So, I don't think this is a resource issue.  It was a collosal pain getting my applications and data moved over from my old Compaq.  It took me at least 2 days of frustration.  A particular problem was my MS Office Suite.  Because it was an upgrade, I had to install the original ancient system first and then apply the upgrade (to Office 2000).  Can't justify the expense of a new office suite just now.

I do have a user ID with Roxio.  I signed in first and then re-tried the download.  Got the same loop...

Thanks for the CD/RW link.  Looks like it will be helpful.  Also read some articles at the Stop Errors link you suggested.  It appears older versions of Roxio software have known incompatiblity issues with Windows XP.  According to my software, it's components are circa 2004-5... which makes me wonder why Dell is installing it on a brand new pc (bought last August).

I'm starting to think that I might be best served by forking over the $80 for new burner software package.  Can you recommend a good one?  Should I stick with Roxio or perhaps Nero?

Thanks again
Patti

15.3K Posts

May 6th, 2007 00:00

Hi Patti,

I have both Roxio and Nero but Nero is my favorite. Considering the issues you have had, I would use Roxio`s Zap program and remove all of it before installing another program. Nero has a trail version you try before dropping the $80 if you wish to see if you like it.
In Section 7-5, article 16 of the CD/RW link, there are some free burning software our Regulars have recommended over the last year or so, you might take a peek at them.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

27 Posts

May 6th, 2007 02:00

One last question...  (I think so anyway) 

I had Nero on my old Compaq, but that software was from 2001.  I don't know it looks like now.  One of the Roxio features I like is the problematic "Make Compatible" function -- the theory being that I can format a DVD-RW and write to it -- then, make it compatible to other drives.  Does Nero have this?  Also, is the Roxio Zap program free or do I have to buy it?

You have been very helpful.  I'm going to try using the Norton removal tool and reinstalling NIS 2007, to see if it makes a difference.  I dread all the updates I will have to download, and pray it will not conflict with something new the second time around.  But I think it makes sense to try this first.

If this doesn't help, I guess I will have to consider alternative burning software.

Thanks again for your feedback...

Good night...
Patti

2.1K Posts

May 6th, 2007 10:00

I have not used DLA in a long, long time but the Make Compatible is akin to Close the disc. I have not run into a situation where this is necessary…

One thing to keep in mind is that DLA, InCD, Drag to Disc, are all Packet Writers and they all share the un-reliability record for burning processes!

They are OK for moving files between 2 PCs when no other method exists but can never be trusted for any sort of backup or archive!

27 Posts

May 6th, 2007 12:00

Hi there

I understand that closing a CD prevents further writing to it... "finalizes" it, so to speak.  And I agree, this is something I've never felt the need to do.  I realize that after performing "make compatible", you can no longer write to a disk, but I thought the purpose of this function was to make a formatted DVD R/W disk more universally compatible... able to be read in other disk drives.  I thought, if I had a global system failure, I might need to be able to read my backup disks on another computer.  This is why I have been using it.  Did I misinterpret these processes?

When you write that these processes share an unreliability -- do you mean that there is a high percentage of disk failures... disks that cannot be read later, by any drive?  If so... what would you recommend for regular data backups?  I try to back up my personal data at least once a week, using a DVD R/W disk.  I have about five of them that I rotate.  So, if one were to fail, I have the previous generation.  Keeping in mind that as of now, I have Roxio Creator Plus Dell Edition (RecordNow?), which of their processes should/could I use?

Thanks very much for your feedback...
Patti

2.1K Posts

May 6th, 2007 14:00

As far as reliability, Packet Writers are the worst! Closely followed by all RW media!

What you will not see is anyone using R media and writing with an Authoring program having trouble reading a disc…

Authoring programs would be RecordNow, Roxio Classic and Nero Burning ROM.

All of these can be used with Sessions so that you can Add files to them later but not delete/erase files.

27 Posts

May 6th, 2007 15:00

Hi Jim

If I look at the "About" under "Help", I see that two of the components of my program (Creator Plus Dell Edition) are RecordNow Audio and RecordNow Data.  But when I use the program, nothing is actually called by that name.  I see three options for data -- "Data Disc" and "Direct-to-disc" and "Easy Archive".  Can I assume the first of these is the RecordNow program?

I hear what you are saying about RW media.  If I switch to DVD-R, then I will probably have to use a new disk with every backup (or maybe every other one).  I had wanted to be able to reuse the disks.  But if this is not reliable, what other choice do I have?

I appreciate your advice...

Regards,
Patti

15.3K Posts

May 6th, 2007 16:00

Hi Patti,

Did not want you to think I abandoned you, Jim is much better than I with Roxio`s softwre, so you will be better served bye him.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

27 Posts

May 6th, 2007 17:00

Jeff

You were so helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to respond.  I didn't think you abandoned me!  And I mean no offense to Jim, but am curious to know if you feel the same way about packet writers.  How do you back up your data?   What writing method and media?

I want to do the wise and reliable thing, but also do not have unlimited funds to spend on discs.  Then again... what is my data worth to me?  It's a tough call...

Best to you on this beautiful Sunday...
Patti

15.3K Posts

May 6th, 2007 22:00

Hi Patti,

I am with Jim on the Packet Writing. I have used them in the past to transfer data but for my important files, pictures, Tax records, etc... I use CD-R and the Mastering program. I also at work use an external hard drive.
You can use a CD-R disc and create multi-sessions until the disc is full. Jim is a regular Member at Roxio forum and one of their betta testers as well, so I am sure you can help with Roxio in this regards.
I dare say CD-R media is somewhere around $0.15 a disc now, so not very expensive for data back up, not like it used to be.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!