Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2008 07:00

Studio 1535 - DVD Drive ejecting disc?

This is a recurring problem I've been having since receiving my Studio laptop from Dell. At boot/startup (or returning from sleep or hibernation) the DVD drive automatically ejects whatever disc I had inserted (irritating!). The eject function has also gone crazy once so far, repeatedly attempting to eject a non-existant disc for quite a while before finally deciding that, yes, there wasn't actually anything in there.

I've seen similar posts like this on the forums, but so far nobody has offered up a solution. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? I can't update the drive firmware because apparently this drive doesn't "need" firmware updates (according to Sony/NEC) and Dell doesn't offer any disc drive related drivers/updates on their Studio 1535 Downloads page.

Oh, right. Here's the friendly name of the drive I'm talking about: "Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S"

I'm running Vista 32-bit (all updates installed) and the latest Dell BIOS for this laptop (A5, I think?).

Thanks for any help!

6 Posts

September 8th, 2008 11:00

Your CR Drive is faulty. Simply contact to Dell customer care and ask them to replace it.

6 Posts

September 8th, 2008 11:00

Your CR Drive is fauly. Simply contact to customer care and ask them to replace it.

75 Posts

September 8th, 2008 19:00

How do you you figure that babanike ?   A little time searching for say "1535 Eject" on this forum would suggest a little more or less to it than that. 

Just an opinion of course . . .

5 Posts

September 8th, 2008 23:00

I would agree that I doubt it's a hardware issue. More likely it has something to do with communication between parts; commands being sent to the drive when they're not supposed to be. I suspect it's probably a BIOS issue, or something driver related, but thus far Dell hasn't offered up any explanations or solutions that apply to these issues that I've been having.

Then again, maybe it is a hardware issue.  Maybe getting a new drive would be the path of least resistance. Have to say, I've had this laptop for a little over a week now and I'm not terribly impressed with it. My keyboard keys have already become squeaky (fixed that myself), I'm having audio issues every once in a while (though that could be Vista related), and now occasionally this drive thing. Ah well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

6 Posts

September 9th, 2008 02:00

Yes BruceVi. Its your very basic right to ask for justification.  I really dont mind.

Dear, the thing is, i know it because, i also had this issue with my new inspiron. I contacted Dell support and told them the whole matter. They simply sent me a replacement CD Drive. and my issue was fixed. Probably ur current CD Drive is MADE IN TAIWAN, but the CD Drive that you will receive as replacement will be MADE IN CHINA. So, rest of the story u can imagine urself. Quite Simple. Cheerz.

75 Posts

September 9th, 2008 08:00

I think a quick search around this site is enough to indicate that the sound on the 1535 is not entirely 'mature' NO Idea whose driver/hardware/OS that is down to!

I also think it's clear that the phantom disk ejects /touch key illumination behaviour on the 1535 points to a problem there.   As far as getting a replacement drive :  the Optical drive on the Studio is quite deeply buried - pretty much a full dismantle to get at it so I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to dismantle their own new laptop that far to swap it.  It was ifferent for the old plug in module type I agree.

Until someone looks into this we can only speculate on how and when they will be fixed . . .  I believe the Studio Line is important to Dell strategically so the odds are they will fix them if enough people start saying ah yes   slot loading dells .  .hmmm on enough websites.   ditto the sound.

If you don't like the overall build quality though then that sounds like a good reason to exercise your return rights.   Have to say my keyboard doesnt creak . . .but interested in how you fixed yours for when mine DOES !!!!

5 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 06:00

Just an update.  Called Dell Customer Service (very polite guy, but talked to me like a layman…) and they recommended updating the BIOS (which I'd already done).  I did this again, and it seemed to fix the issue while I was on the phone.  Shortly thereafter the optical drive stuff returned in full force.  I've yet to find a solution for it, but I can assure those who are having the same problem that a BIOS update does -not- fix the issue.  The drive still performs as it should.  DVDs still play fine… it just wants to get rid of them when it shouldn't, and when it doesn't even have a disc.

I can't tell you how irritating (and embarassing!) it is to boot up or return from hibernation in the middle of a lecture hall, only to have your laptop sputter about with a loud, grinding noise.  Mrrr-oop!  Mrrr-oop!  Mrr-oop! usually over a half-dozen times before it quits. haha Amazing. I flinch a little every time I hit the power button.

I would -gladly- tear apart my laptop to fix this issue, but Dell won't send me a replacement part.  No, it must be done by a technician at whatever service station they have set up… thing is, I'm a student and I can't afford to be without a laptop for whatever period of time they require to receive this hardware, fix it, and send it back.  I -can- spare a few hours to do this swap myself, but not the weeks it'll take them to do their own thing.

Dell has released new IDT audio drivers for the 1535, which solves the audio issues I was having.  As far as fixing the creaking, it's returned as well.  Carefully removing the keys and applying some lubrication to the hinges (it happened to be the tab and spacebar that were creaking) fixed the issue temporarily.

Grr.  I feel kind of stuck here.  I need this thing for my classes, but there have been so many problems with it that I question whether or not it was worth my money.  Is this normal for laptops (this is my first one)?  Do mobile users usually have to deal with half-baked drivers, odd hardware issues and the like?

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 17:00

Have you made any progress with fixing this problem?  Mine seams is doing the same. Thanks

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 19:00

Hi Ibeeb,

Not so far.  I've since asked a Dell Customer Service representative to contact me about how to return the laptop in it's entirety, but (although he's reading my e-mails - thanks return receipts!) he hasn't bothered to get back to me after promising a reply within 48 hours (it's been over a week).  Gotta love it. =(

If I do manage to get a reply, or some solution, I'll post it up here.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

1 Message

October 17th, 2008 15:00

Im also facing the same problem, updated BIOS with A05 but of no use.. tired of finding a fix for this..kindly update with the fix once found. Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 18:00

Hi, all.

If you are experiencing issues with constant or random ejects of the optical drive, the most likely culprit is the Center Control Cover. It is the plastic strip above the keyboard with all the capacitive touch buttons. If the BIOS update and control cover fail to correct the issue, it may indeed be a problem with the drive itself. The control cover is customer replaceable following the directions in the field service manual. You should be able to contact tech support via chat, email or phone in your region to have a control cover overnighted to you.

8 Posts

December 4th, 2008 20:00

Did you get this panel replaced? Thankss for any additional info on this.

Mine was doing strange things. Got the Heatsink/Fan, the motherboard, the DVD drive and the palmrest replaced, practically a new laptop, and still the drive eject problem is still there!!! I'll call Dell next week, maybe it's the panel.

8 Posts

December 30th, 2008 07:00

well I also got my touch buttons panel replaced. but this is a nightmare, I still have the DVD eject problem, and now the volume up problem. Every now an then, the volume up button stays lit up and my volume goes all the way up. No difference between Vista and Ubuntu, this is a hardware problem. Can someone tell me if there's a solution getting a 1535 replaced by a 1537?

Thanks!

Rafa

1 Message

January 3rd, 2009 17:00

Just wanted to chime in and say that I've had the same optical drive behavior since I got my laptop, and even though there are many, many quirks with the thing, the optical drive eject behavior is by far the most aggravating. I've installed all the updates (including latest BIOS) and nothing seems to help. I'm not willing to live without my laptop (I'm a student, like one of the other posters), so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it until there's info on a solid fix.

15 Posts

May 1st, 2009 20:00

Well I just wanted to say that my 1535 has been working okay until the last couple of days ,( the thing is only a month old ), what happens is. that the eject light is on all the time.It takes a disk in and plays it , but it will not eject . I can eject it by using fn+f10. But surely a machine of this age should work properly or am I being naive

No Events found!