Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2009 18:00

Studio 1535 - No Hard Drive Detected?

Hey all,

About a week ago, I woke up, turning my Laptop on to hear an odd clicking sound and the message: "No hard drive detected."

I figured (judging by the clicking sound) that the hard drive somehow decided to not work anymore, bummer....

I ordered a 2nd hard drive, came in this morning.  Exact same model, etc...

I installed it, made sure all of the cables were firmly in place, turned my laptop on and.... Still, No hard drive detected.

The BIOS isnt detecting the Hard Drive, and when I run the Dell startup diagnostic, only error that comes up is "No Hard Drive Detected."

Any ideas on what could be wrong, or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

Phillips126

*EDIT*

I wanted to mention my warrenty has expired, and I'd rather not spend $50.00 to talk to someone I dont understand.

November 17th, 2009 06:00

Hey Keith_patiag,

Here is what I did to fix my problem:

I logged onto Ebay, and ordered the cord that connects the HD to the Motherboard.  I believe I only spent about $20.00 and it was very easy to replace myself so I didn't need to pay someone else to do it for me. It felt very loose to the touch (when I pressed down, it rocked back and forth). Must be this part can be an issue with these laptops?

Here is a link to one of the cords I bought. You should shop around, as I found some to be in the $50.00 range, and some in the $20.00 range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Studio-1535-1536-1537-HDD-Bracket-P925C-K673D_W0QQitemZ310176992167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item4837fd4ba7

Good Luck!

Phillips126

2.4K Posts

October 30th, 2009 19:00

Make sure your hard drive is being seated properly and check to make sure you have the newest BIOS installed.

October 30th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the quick reply.

The HD's cables are firmly inplace, both on the HD and on the Motherboard.

Is there a way to install / update a BIOS when you cant start the computer up, and without a hard drive? When the computer starts it says: BIOS version A06. Perhaps that will solve the problem.

Thanks,

Phillips126

2.4K Posts

October 30th, 2009 22:00

You can hit F2 to enter the BIOS and see if your computer can boot to a USB device, if it can then you can buy a USB key and follow instruction here and then place the BIOS exe file on the key and run it.  Look at the instructions on the BIOS download for install. Just to let you know an improper flash can render your computer useless and the only thing that would fix it is a motherboard replacement.

October 31st, 2009 09:00

Thanks dallascowboysworldchamps,

I'll take my chances and give this a shot.  I'll report back if the problem still exists, or if this solves it.

Phillips126

October 31st, 2009 10:00

Well, it appears that I am currently running the most current BIOS for my system.

On the Dell Drivers / Downloads page, they only list BIOS A06 for my system, which is what it says when starting up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Phillips126

2.4K Posts

October 31st, 2009 14:00

Try F12 at boot and select Dell Diagnostics and see it it will test. Also holding down the FN key and hitting the power button starts Dell Diags.

2.4K Posts

October 31st, 2009 23:00

You could purchase a hard drive enclosure and put your hard drive in it, and see it can be accessed from another computer.  Hard drive enclosures run about 20 bucks.

Otherwise you can wait till you get the cable.

Keep us up to date.

October 31st, 2009 23:00

Thanks for the tip,

I gave that a shot, only problem that was detected was "No Hard Drive Found."

I think the problem might be the Hard Drive Cable, connecting the HD to the Motherboard.  It feels really loose, etc...

I ordered a new cable today, should be here soon... We'll see if that solves the problem.

I'll keep responding to help others that may experience my problem.

If there is anything else you can think of, let me know.

Thanks,

Phillips126

1 Message

November 16th, 2009 18:00

I have the same laptop Dell 1535 and the same problem as you do. When I turn on my laptop, the same message "No hard drive detected" appears. I don't know what hard drive I should get to replace it and I don't know how much it will cost. My warranty is expired too and I was also wondering if Dell could like somehow fix it and I can pay them back?

May 28th, 2010 15:00

I have the same laptop Dell 1535 and the same problem as you do. When I turn on my laptop, the same message "No hard drive detected" appears. I don't know what hard drive I should get to replace it and I don't know how much it will cost. My warranty is expired too and I was also wondering if Dell could like somehow fix it and I can pay them back?

I know this thread is pretty old now, but did you figure out what the problem was?  I have a studio 1535 and the hard drive is clicking and says no hard drive found.  I ordered a new drive and new sata cable.  is that what fixed yours?

thanks!

No Events found!