Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2010 11:00

Studio XPS 8100 adding a second hard drive help

Hello,

I purchased a second sata drive for my xps 8100 and am not sure the exact way to install it. Do I need to order a bracket/carrier to put the drive in and then screw the bracket to the drive panel or do I just screw the hard drive itself into the drive panel? I can't tell from the manual. I bought the extra sata cable and I have an open power cable.

Once I attach the drive do I just boot up, hit f2, select the drive, boot up, then format the new drive? anything else I need to do?

Also - I do not want Raid set up - I want to clone the second drive manually (so viruses don't get copied over). What should my bios sata mode be?

Thank you so much!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 11th, 2010 13:00

amanda333

The XPS 8100 service manual is HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

A bracket is not required to install the additional hard drive, all you need are four 6-32X1/4, phillips, or pan head screws.

After installing the SATA hard drive and connecting the power and data cables, you need to enter the system setup and check that the SATA port the hard drive is connected to is enabled [on] and that the hard drive is recognized.

For Windows to recognize the additional hard drive, it must be patitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Windows Disk Management.

Bev

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 21st, 2012 13:00

jonrw123

jon williams,

If you have the Studio XPS 8100, to mount the second hard drive, you don't need a mounting bracket, only 4 x 6-32X1/4, phillips, or pan head screws.

Yes, you will need a SATA data cable, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case for a second hard drive.

The XPS 8100 service manual is HERE 

and HERE 

is the location of the second hard drive.

Bev.

1 Message

May 21st, 2012 13:00

bev,

I have the same situation I bought a WD Caviar Green 1.5TB sata drive and want to install it in my XPS and need to check out on how to do this can

you help me...do i need a sata cable and mounting bracket? I can handle the windows 7 part okay thank you

jon williams

[AMIN NOTE: Post Edited per TOU Violation]     

No Events found!