Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2012 14:00

Switching from HDD to SSD

Hey all,

I'm planning on getting the XPS 15, and want to switch out the standard 750G HDD for a 250G SSD that I already have. What all do I need to do to do this? I'm assuming I'll need to buy the OS recovery disk, and just switch over the key? 

I haven't ever had to switch a license between hard drives, but I'll be fine doing all the work with hardware - I just need to know what I need to do software/firmware wise. 

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 7th, 2012 17:00

Hi hkinney,

Dell provides an OEM Windows license, which goes with the laptop regardless of the hard drive in it. All you need to do is perform a manual installation of the operating system using the Dell OS disc. If you don't get one with the system, you can order it from the main support site.

14.4K Posts

May 8th, 2012 08:00

You can transfer your present OS to your new ssd with correct alignment using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0.

It was offered free on giveawayof the day  a couple of weeks ago but now you'll have to purchase it if wanted.

NB I am in no way affiliated with Paragon.

12 Posts

May 10th, 2012 01:00

SATA 3 is the best choice to get excellent performance of SSD. First, you have to set your bios into ACHI mode and install the OS. Then you must check your alignment www.ssdhdd.org/.../check-alignment.html. Besides, you must disable Windows Search, Superfetch, Disk Defragmenter, and hibernation. All this is important for SSD performance.

371 Posts

May 10th, 2012 18:00

You can transfer your present OS to your new ssd with correct alignment using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0.

It was offered free on giveawayof the day  a couple of weeks ago but now you'll have to purchase it if wanted.

NB I am in no way affiliated with Paragon.

+1 for Paragon MOS2SSD.

Just did this with my Dimension 8400 and it could not possibly have been easier.

There is a nice Tutorial @ http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html

It shows what they refer to as the "Geeky" way (free) and how to do it with Paragon.

It was well worth the $20 to avoid all the steps involved with the "Geeky" way. :-)

D

21 Posts

June 6th, 2012 02:00

:emotion-1:

21 Posts

June 6th, 2012 04:00

If you just want to migrate the OS, I think you could directly use 3rd party tool, and involve the performance of SSD, you need to turn on AHCI in BIOS but first you need to change the register key value " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci" to "0" then go ahead...and here I suggset a free software Aomei Partition Assistant Home edition, it provides this feature in wizard which is very easy to handle

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 6th, 2012 12:00

Hi Voodoo123,

Looks like a great tool.

21 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 21:00

You can migrate directly your OS to your new SSD without  reinstalling.  I find an article that introduces how to transfer your os with AOMEI Partition Asssistant on hupages:  ljmichael.hubpages.com/.../Migrate-OS-to-SSD-or-HDD

No Events found!