Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2012 14:00

System Restore files location on hard drive??

I was recently trying to update my itunes (which was not working) and it caused a malfunction in my ethernet connection and was no longer unable to connect to the internet. I performed the system restore function several times trying to find a point where both my itunes and internet connection worked not knowing that performing the system restore uses up quite a bit of hard drive space. After about 4 or 5 restore attempts the process was going slower each time until finally on the last one a message came up that said "not enough hard disc space available to complete system restore."

I have a 150 GB of total hard drive space and before doing the mulitiple system restores I had used about 130 GB, so performing the system restores used up the remaining 20 GB of hard drive space. I am assuming this is done by putting all of the info in a system restore in a back up file on my hard drive. If this is correct, where can I find these files so I can erase them and free up that space?

I would appreciate some advice. many thanks.

trevluk 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 18th, 2012 18:00

Hi Trevluk,

You can either erase individual system restore points, limit the amount of space system restore uses, or you can simply turn system restore off.

With only 20GB of free space, I'd recommend either replacing that drive or adding another for more space. Let me know if you need ideas.

If you need more help, please tell me the model of your Dell and your operating system.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2012 00:00

Thanks for the advice Osprey! How do you erase individual restore points? When I bring up my restore point calanedar to choose from, if ai right cick a date it does not give me the option to delete it.

trevluk

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 19th, 2012 05:00

4 Posts

May 21st, 2012 12:00

Osprey, I know how to erase all the restore points, but I need to know how to delete individual restore points, or if that is even possible. I have done a google search but the only thing that comes up is how to delete all restore points.

trevluk

4 Posts

ok, thanks. How do I restore to original factory settings then?

trevluk

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

It cannot be done. windows.microsoft.com/.../Delete-a-restore-point  However you can delete all but the latest one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 21st, 2012 17:00

How to Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

You can delete individual restore points in Windows 7. But I'm guessing you have XP.

No Events found!