Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

TSST drive is missing and not recognized by Windows y 64 bit

I have about 20 Latitude laptops with TSST ts-U633J optical drives, and Windows 7 64 bit does not recognize the drives. If you open Device Manager the drive is listed but disabled. In the event Viewer, there is an event of 7026, with a Source of Service Control Manager and the description reads " The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: cdrom" I can enable the drive, and it will function normally until the next reboot. I have uninstalled the drive, and rebooted allowing Windows to reinstall it, I have deleted the upper and lower filters key from the registry (interestingly, on these drives only the lower filter exists, but on drives that do not exhibit this issue both the upper and lower filters exist), I have change the cdrom to manual startup (HKLM/CurrentControlSet\Services\cdrom, and updated the firmware on the drives to no avail (the update is actually a downgrade, as the firmware on the drive is D800 and the firmware on Dells site is D600). The firmware update may work for a day or two before the issue returns again. We have a hardware independent image that we push out to all our hardware, and only the laptops with the TSST drives exhibit this issue. Anyone have any suggestions that will work, short of having Dell replace the drives (I did this with one of teh affected users, and gave them my drive which worked for a day, but it took a re-image of their system to make it permanent. Their drive worked on my laptop until I re-imaged it, and now I have the issue). Thank you in advance

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 4th, 2012 12:00

Hi Villanim,

You've done everything I would have tried.Are any burning programs installed on these systems? If so, I would try uninstalling them. Does everything look good in the BIOS?

By the way, you did not provide the model of the laptop.

27 Posts

April 4th, 2012 12:00

Sorry, brain ran ahead of my typing skills again. They are Latitude E6320's, and there is no burning programs installed other than the native Windows 7 app.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 4th, 2012 15:00

What shows in the BIOS for drives and for the controller mode?

27 Posts

April 5th, 2012 06:00

It shows up in BIOS, I ended up disabling it as a boot device in BIOS and it works in Windows now. When I re-enabled as a boot device in BIOS it disappeared in Windows again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 5th, 2012 10:00

That was going to be one of my suggestions. For enterprise systems, optical and external devices should ALWAYS be disabled from booting, and the BIOS should be password protected.

27 Posts

April 5th, 2012 12:00

Not really, as we have never had this issue in the past with optical drives enabled. And it only happens with the Toshiba TSST drive, not any of the other drive models Dell provides with this particular model, nor with the E6400/4300 models either, as they just work. You do not want the BIOS to be password protected if you use encryption like we do, if you need to make a change to BIOS if then requires you to decrypt the entire drive first, the same goes with a BIOS update.

No Events found!