This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2012 16:00

Targeted Read Test AND Linear Read Test Failed on one of my drives

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Dell Diag results:

Model: XPS 630i

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

Service Tag: XXXXXX

Diagnostic Id: 5FD6WH109262012124844

System Information

Dell PC Diagnostics complete - Errors found. The diagnostics results indicate that a part replacement is required for your system. Dell's record indicate Your limited hardware warranty and/or service contract(s) associated with this system are expired. In some cases, hardware failures may be provided statutory protections above and beyond Dell's warranty/service terms. Please contact Dell Technical Support if to determine if Click the link next to the fault(s) below to review next actions, or scroll down to review all results.

Hard Drive

Linear Read Test

Tool Tips Available Below.

Choose A Different Diagnostic     Run Diagnostics Again

Tested and need attention: (7)

Hard Drive: Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 USB Device

Targeted Read Test  

Failed

Your hard drive may be experiencing a hardware fault or may have a configuration issue.

• If the system is still under warranty and you are unable to resolve the issue, please contact Dell Technical Support for additional assistance.

Linear Read Test  

Failed

Your hard drive is operating outside of normal parameters and should be replaced. If the system is still under warranty please contact Dell Technical Support for additional assistance.
Note: Warranty details can be viewed at the top of this page or on Dell's My Products and Services page

Hard Drive: Seagate FreeAgent USB Device

SMART Short Self Test  

No Device

Random Seek Test  

Warning

Your hard drive is operating within normal conditions, but one or more sectors are operating outside of normal specifications. You can resolve this issue immediately, without the need for parts replacement or data loss.

Funnel Seek Test  

Warning

Your hard drive is operating within normal conditions, but one or more sectors are operating outside of normal specifications. You can resolve this issue immediately, without the need for parts replacement or data loss.

Linear Read Test  

Warning

Linear Read Test  

Warning

Tested Successfully: (74)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 26th, 2012 16:00

Hi jrhebert,

The Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 is your hard drive. It's on the verge of dying. Here's what you need to do:

1. BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES IMMEDIATELY!

2. Purchase any desktop SATA hard drive 2TB or smaller.

3. You can attempt to clone your existing drive over to the new drive. But if that doesn't work, you'll need to perform a manual reinstallation of the operating system, drivers and applications.

2 Posts

September 27th, 2012 09:00

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!  Anybody have a good suggestion for a free/cheap cloning prog that runs from a GUI?  I have plenty of space to offload files to clone it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 27th, 2012 16:00

Most of the drive manufacturers provide a utility with retail drive packages for doing this.

No Events found!