Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 30th, 2004 16:00

Tech Support Hung Up on Me

I bought my Inspiron 1150 in September, 2004 and now in November of the same year, the CD-ROM is going faulty.  Mind you, it's not with every CD.  I don't play DVD's in my computer very often, so I haven't really tested there, but certain audio CD's as well as some gaming (data) CD's just don't work.

If I click install on certain games, the CD starts clicking in the drive, and locks up the computer.  If I try and open the D drive, it locks up.  If I copy and paste from the D drive, it locks up, starts clicking, and says "Redundancy Error."  There's one disk that was working, then I had to take it out of the drive for 10 minutes.  Suddenly, after putting it back in, it didn't work anymore.  I tried restarting, reinstalling... nothing.

I've tested all the disks elsewhere, in stereos and other computers.  The disks are fine.  There have been no problems anywhere else.  The CD's are clean, and scratchless.  The disks work the first time in other drives.

I called Tech Support, because I read on a forum thread that someone else with my exact same model (Sony CRX830E CDRW/DVD) was having the exact same problem.  Not with everything, but with certain disks, they spin and click and nothing happens, or the system locks up.  Dell sent them a CD-ROM replacement, and, as there were no other postings, I assume it worked fine.

I called Tech Support hoping that they could either tell me I was missing some sort of driver (all of which I have made sure are updated) or that they could send me a new CD-ROM drive, because there is a problem with it.  If there is a problem, that's fine, I'm under warranty and am covered.  Instead, Tech Support argued with me, and then after telling me to put yet another CD in the drive (that we had already established worked) I was hung up on.  I imagine the chances of calling and getting the same guy are slim, so instead I'm posting here.

How do I go about getting my new CD-ROM drive?  It's not every CD that isn't working, only some, and they work other places, so there's nothing wrong with them.

Somebody please help?  Do I have to deal with Tech Support again?

808 Posts

November 30th, 2004 19:00

Since this is a user to user forum, that may not happen. There is only two ways, through email support or tech support. I would suggest call again, this time take only the disk that don't work and freeze the system. Have those handy, send the rest to a friends house. Call tech and keep changing disk. But here is the kicker, don't tell tech support you need a new drive, I would suppose that they don't like being told their job, I know I don't. Be kind, courteous and most important, patience is a virtue that is really needed when talking to tech support. After trying all the things they tell you, then the only possible recourse is to have you send the system in, or send you a new drive. I never have a problem with tech support, maybe because I keep thanking them for being there for me? It takes me a while to get to tech support, but usually when I am there, it goes by quickly. Last time it was with my daughters 1000, it needed a hard drive. I reseated everything then ran the diagnostic CD, wrote down what the errors and told tech what it said. After a few minutes he started the process to return the laptop to be fixed. Turn around in less than a week. I don't seem to have any problems with the outsourcing tech, I think because if someone thanks them for being there and helping, it is a custom in their land to be more helpful themselves. Don't know for sure, but it seems to work for me.

4 Posts

December 1st, 2004 01:00

I don't know if my first post sounded rude, but if it did, I'm sorry and I was frustrated.  Honestly, I was very patient with them.  I waited the hour until someone finally picked up, listening to the recorded help loop over and over again.  Then I spent another hour trying to explain my problem to the guy on the phone.  He kept insisting my disks were corrupted and won't work, but they work elsewhere.  It's like he wasn't listening to the actual problem.  I didn't say anything about replacing it until he said "We could replace the CD-ROM drive."  I replied "That would be great." then he immediately balked.

I mulled it over for awhile and talked to some friends, most importantly one of my college professors who was shocked at the fact that he hung up on me.

I called Tech Support again, and just got off the phone with them about ten minutes ago.  I would have posted sooner, but I was doing my Happy Dance.  When he asked what was wrong, I said "I'm having problems with my CD-ROM drive" and the first thing he said was, "Alright, I'll get another one sent out right away."  Just like that.  It was so much easier and hassle-free, especially compared to the first call.

I've always had a high opinion of Dell, and the second call really reinforced my confidence in them.  I don't know what was up with the first guy, but the second guy was so much more helpful, and I can tell you it was a huge relief.

It should be here in 3-4 business days, and I'll try to remember to post when it arrives.  Thanks Dell, for fixing my problem ^.^

-C.S.-

24 Posts

December 3rd, 2004 01:00

I would call back and just talk to another tech support.  I had a problem with my drive the other day, and I told them that the drive was clicking when I put a disk in and nothign happened.  He immediatly said "Ok, I'll send you a new drive." That was it, no more technical questions asked.  Two days later, I got a brand new dvd-burner driver, which was actually better than my old one (dual layer vs single layer, and burns dvd-r too).  So try again.
No Events found!