Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2009 12:00

The VT0613X OJF353L SCSI CdRom Device?

A few days ago I popped a disk into my cd rom drive and explored to install a new game, and no disk drive was to be found.  Curious, I removed the disk and checked things out.  I found that within device manager I had two devices with warnings.  The Optiarc AD-7200S cd drive as well as a "VT0613X OJF353L SCSI CdRom Device" under it.  I tried the normal stuff.  I rebooted.  I ran the dell diagnostic program, and came up with nothing.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive with the drivers that were already on my computer.  Then I tried updating the drivers by downloading the latest optiarc firmware from the dell website.  When ran the executable, it said that no such device could be found.  Because it's an exe, I can't manually install the drivers for it.  I tried plugging the drive into a different sata port, as well as trying different power and data cables.  So I figured that my drive must be kaputskie.  So I popped down to my friendly neighborhood electronics store and bought a cheap dvdrom.  Unfortunately, it seems to be having exactally the same problem.  It sees the physical drive just fine, but has no drivers, and the "VT0613X OJF353L SCSI CdRom Device" still seems to have no drivers.

So I tried doing the dell driver reset program.  This simply brought up a little window with "EN" in it, then a dialogue that said "EN? Enthis device is disabled" (not a typo on my part).  Yes, No, or Cancel.  Obviously, rather confused, I just pressed cancel.  

I did a few websearches for "VT0613X OJF353L SCSI CdRom Device" and it's various components, and came up with absolutely nothing.  It seems to me that this must be the malfunctioning component, though I've got no idea what it is or how to fix it.  

I've got an Inspiron 530.  The only changes I've made to it are installing a nice wireless networking card (some months ago) and today's CdRom drive change.  I'm running Windows XP that I keep updated every third day or so, and I did not make any software or hardware changes prior to the failure, no new programs or anything.  I've also run comprehensive virus and spyware checks and come up with nothing except the occasional tracking cookie.  Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.  If I can take this new drive back and exchange it for another gig of memory or something, that would be super!

2 Posts

March 27th, 2009 12:00

Hmn, alright.  Well I went through the Dell Trebleshooting wizard link in the FAQ of this forum and got a "fix it" program.  Once I ran it and rebooted, I ended up with a DVD-RAM drive D: and a DVD Drive I:.  The "DVD RAM" drive seems to work when I put in a disk, but this brings up two new questions.  First, what did that fix-it program "DeleteLowerAndUpperFiltersForCDDevices.msi" do?  And second, what is this new "I:" drive, what is it doing here, and can I get rid of it?... Okay so that's sortta four questions...

No Events found!