Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2014 07:00

Trying to migrate from hdd drive to ssd

Hello, 4 days ago i purchased dell inspiron 5748 with windows 8.1 and a 1TB hdd disk.

I also bought samsung 840EVO ssd 250 GB disk to replace the 1TB drive of the laptop. I cloned the HDD drive and restored the image in the ssd drive and when i mounted the sdd drive and fired up the laptop i got an error that it cant detect a drive... Press F2 to enter setup F5 for diagnostics and F1 for reboot.

First i made sure its mounted correctly. After i verified i entered the bios where i saw that the drive is recognised in the system details. The model was correct, the capasity as well. The mode was ahci. 

I ran the diagnostics and they couldnt locate a drive. 

So, is it an incompatibility? I checked for bios updates and i see i m up to date on that. The drive is surelly ok as i tested on a different pc..

What can i do?

thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 15th, 2014 08:00

Hi Add1ctiv3,

We recommend you use the recovery discs you prepared when you first got your system to restore the factory hard drive image to the SSD. Since they're the same size, it should work with no problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 16th, 2014 15:00

You said the BIOS sees the SSD, so the hardware is fine.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2014 02:00

true but while bios ees the ssd model and capacity, the dell diagnostics wont see a hard drive and also the message appears before an operating system loads...

I get the message to try and reseat the drive and the only options i have is reboot, enter bios or run the diagnostics...Anyway I will try what you suggested and will post again.

3 Posts

November 15th, 2014 09:00

You mean that this may be cause by the content of the ssd drive? I thought it was purelly a hardware conflict since it says it cannot find a hard drive. What does the content have to do with the system being unable to detect the ssd drive?

No Events found!