Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2005 13:00

Trying to recover data from dead laptop hard drive.

I'm trying to recover data off a Latitude C610 (IBM Travelstar Model No. #ic25n030atcs04-0) 30 gig drive using an adapter that plugs into a working drive but before I can plug in the adapter I have to set the laptop drive to slave but on the drive there are no settings listed on the drive.  There is a jumper diagram but doesn't have anything listed for slave or master.  I've also checked IBM's site and there isn't alot of information.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 1st, 2005 13:00

With no jumper on it, the drive is master - connect it in place of your master CD/DVD drive in the desktop and it'll work just fine.

It's all but impossible to find the tiny jumpers these drives need - if the adapter doesn't have a jumper on it, just put the drive in as master.

96 Posts

December 1st, 2005 20:00

Well the drive is making noise but I can put the hard drive in the cd/dvd slot?  I'll try it. 

96 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 11:00

The pins do not match and the hard drive will not fit in the dvd/cd rom slot.  Thanks for your help.

96 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 11:00

Are you sure the back of the hard drive is compatible with the port for the cd/dvd rom drive?  It looks like it could fit in there but you have to be a magician to get it in with small fingers.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2005 17:00

You will need to buy an adapter to mount the drive in a desktop system. See below. If you have that, did you remove the edge connector from the back of the drive to expose the pins?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

96 Posts

December 3rd, 2005 19:00

I ordered some cables from cablestogo.com and see if that works.

29 Posts

December 5th, 2005 13:00

i think what the other poster was trying to explain is that the cdrom drive is on the secondary IDE controller in the desktop meaning that its always going to be slaved to the PIDE drive so connecting it to that cable should make the desktop drive boot unless the cdrom is on the same cable as the hard drive(PIDE controller). they make adapters but unless you are IT your probably just going to want to take it to "mom and pops computers" and have them do it for 30 bucks or whatever, save yourself the headache.

96 Posts

December 5th, 2005 22:00

I actually got the Spinrite 6 software to work and I was able to recover a 1 gig of data but I will have the cables I bought as a backup.

No Events found!