Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DK

October 28th, 2003 13:00

UJDA360 24x CDRW...not burning at 24X

To All,

There have been reports that the UJDA360 24x CDRW has problems burning at higher speeds then 8X with
various media. I would like to collect data on what media may or may not be working.
I would appreciate anyone with this drive model to please post any information on what media you have
had success with or problems with, burning above 8X speed.
This information can help to create a list of media that is known to work and fail above 8X write speeds.
Please post the name/brand of media that either:
-Will not burn above 8X.
-Will burn above 8X.
I appreciate any information that is posted.
Thank you.

1 Message

October 29th, 2003 07:00

Plug and Play unit will not format CDRW greater than 4x.
CD's capable of higher speeds will encounter a "Hardware Error" prompt during the format process (approx 17 mins into the process). Thus drag and drop method cannot be used. The XP version of writing to CD is too long winded and once a file has been transferred to CD, one is unable to delete it as the prompt then advises you that the file is read only. This is encountered with either Nero or Roxio (latest version)

1 Message

November 2nd, 2003 23:00

I get 9x or below with TDK 48x CDR

I get 15x or so with Memorex 48x CDR

I would like to update my bios and firmware but they require a floppy. Which my 8600 did not come with. Does Dell plan on releasing them with a harddrive install option.

Thank You

dave

I just found out that I do not have a UJDA360 but I have a SBW-242 and still have problems burning. I think I am within my 30 days still, can I upgrade to a drive that works. I don't mind  upgrading to something that WORKS right, I just need it to work as advertised.

Message Edited by drake3d on 11-09-2003 10:00 PM

2.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2003 12:00

Drake3d,

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I do not know if there will be a hard drive version of the files released.

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2003 14:00

I actually have a QSI SBW-242 but I've found that I have the same problem. It allows me to select 24x but takes as long as about an 8x burner (I have one of these old things in a desktop).

Will not burn above 8x:

Verbatim DataLife Plus 80min 40x
BurnRight 80min 48x

18 Posts

November 4th, 2003 17:00

Imation 80 min 48x CD-R -- UJDA360 falls back to 8-9x even after I select 24x to begin with.  This is after I upgraded the firmware on the drive to the latest.

Rajiv

37 Posts

November 24th, 2003 14:00

Incidentally, I've got the UDJA740 which hasn't been able to burn a disc above 20x according to Nero's CD speed (although 24x is selectable, the drive never exceeds 20x, even on a full 700MB image).  When I received this drive as a replacement for the  fantastic and reliable (after the firmware update was applied) Hitachi/LG, I benchmarked the drive's performance on a variety of media.  Unfortunately I didn't keep the results as they were just for personal interest.

Some media only allows 10x recording and all of my high speed CDRW discs only allow 8x (not 10x, which the drive can do at CLV!). 

I've also applied the current firmware update for this unit, which incidentally only appears as a download under the latitude C840 file section (as opposed to my Inspiron 8200).

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2003 04:00

TEON 24x MultiSpeed and Memorex 48x MultiSpeed won't exceed 10x.  I have had success at full speed with Maxell CD-R pro... says 'certified up to 40x' ...700Mb. I'm interested to know what else works.

2.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2003 12:00

To All,

Thank you for posting your information here, it is much appreciated.

Here is some more information on this drive.
-The latest firmware update for the drive is located here.
-You can find the drive specifications here.
-The maximum writing speed for CD-R media is: max24X(Zone CLV)
-The maximum writing speed for CD-RW media is: 10X CLV

Additional info:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If a speed is reported as a CAV speed, the application will tell the user that this is a MAX speed. So for example, the 24x cd-rw drive might support 8x CLV, 12x CLV, and then 24x CAV. Since 8x and 12x are CLV speeds, they are 8x and 12x across the disc. there is no problem for the application to tell the user that they are recording at 8x or 12x. However, if the user selects 24x, then its only 24x on the outside of the disc and a slower speed on the inside of the disc. This is not a "true" 24x recording. So the application informs the user that this is a 24x MAX recording. This is the same way we have been selling our CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs since their read speeds are CAV and not CLV.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2003 21:00

lainster, I share your experience.
In my desktop I use a plextor 121032A and it is faster than the SBW242.

Exact speeds and times I can't give, but it's slower than 12 speed.

CD-R's I use are Philips CD-R80 52x 80 min 700MB, 25 disc spindles.

---

I just found a log entry stating it uses 6 minutes to burn a 660MB ISO onto a Lifetec disc.
My calculations say it should only take about 3 minute.
Which indicates that it's comparable to my 12 speed plextor.

FYI:
My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600
with a 1400Mhz Pentium M
and 512 MB of RAM (at the time of burning the ISO 223MB was free)
also, the power cord was not plugged in.

40 Posts

January 30th, 2004 09:00

Imation CD-R 80MIN/700MB 1x-148 compatible shall not burn faster than 8-9x.

Sky CD-R 700MB/80min. multi-speed 4x-40x shall not burn faster than 9-9x

Regards

2 Posts

April 9th, 2004 16:00

The performance of this drive is so lousy! Even with the new firmware, I'm still getting really slow speeds. It shows that my cdrw disc could burn at 10x but when i try it, it gives me coasters! I had to resort to using my dvd burner to 'rescue' my cdrw disc coz the drive couldn't even read or detect it! Everything works at 8x and below for any cdrw disc i tried! This is the first time that i've actually seen a drive not working at it's rated speed.

Looks like I'll need to call Dell Support again for giving me this lousy replacement which couldn't even match up to the performance of my old Teac 16x cdrw drive which died on me.

78 Posts

April 26th, 2004 00:00

How do I know whether I have model UJDA360 ?

I have a DVD+RW 4x, and can't seem to get CD-R DVD rewrite to work at maximum speed (option not available).

40 Posts

May 3rd, 2004 12:00

Well, I can see my UJDA burns OK at speed up to 24x for some CD makes. Of course it accelerates in course of burning: starts at 10-12x, then goes up to 16x and finishes at speed 24x so seems OK.

But there are some CD makes, which will never burn faster than 8x... Well, I just gave up and try to use only good makes.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2004 12:00

CD-RW/DVD (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N )
Firmware A101

I am having this problem as well but with the above drive,
Nero recognises it as a 24x speed burner but will only
let me burn at 4 or 10.

Not sure the exact spec of the CD-R but I know that they can
burn above atleast 24x.

Message Edited by wargrammer on 05-03-2004 08:33 AM

1 Message

June 16th, 2004 07:00

I'm the owner of a UDJA740 and noticed that when i use Nero latest version it won't go above 8x but when i have Easy CD creator installed (the one shipped with my inspiron including all updates) i'm able to select up to 24x when trying to record a cd.

I'm using Platinum CDR 700 52x and Philips CD-R80 52x.

I also tried different brands but no difference.

No Events found!