Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2007 16:00

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I was recommended here from the CD/DVD devices area.

I turned on my computer today to find the blue screen of death stating "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

I have a Dimension 4500 desktop computer

I've tried running the chkdsk /r command and it freezes at 10%

Apparently I need a new hard drive but I'm completely lost here. I don't know which one to buy or how to go about installing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could I use this hard drive?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5524373&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat107700050004&id=1051826249503

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 16th, 2007 17:00

Yes, that drive will work fine.

19 Posts

June 16th, 2007 18:00

Do I need to buy a second cable or anything or will putting it in the second slot work?

Thanks for all the help!

19 Posts

So I would buy it, take the old one out, then how would I go about transferring files from the old hard drive to the new one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Once you've reloaded Windows, connect the failed drive in place of your CD/DVD drive. Then see what you can read - if the drive isn't too far gone, you may be able to recover some or all of your data.

If you can't read the drive at all, you'll then have to weigh the cost of data recovery.

I would strongly suggest buying an external hard drive and a copy of Acronis True Image for making backups in the future. The cost is low (as little as $100), far lower than data recovery (which can easily run $2,500+).

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

coaster101

First, you replace the failed hard drive, with the new drive, reload windows, install all the updates, etc, and after the system is working to your satisfaction, install the failed drive as the secondary and see if you can transfer the files to the new C:/ drive.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

19 Posts

I'm confused, do I connect the new hard drive and reload windows, or do that with the failed drive (I don't think I can do that since I can't get past the blue error screen)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 16th, 2007 19:00

coaster101

There should be no need to buy a second IDE data cable.

This Manual may help.

Bev.

19 Posts

June 16th, 2007 21:00

Alright, I bought this:

But it's not big enough to fit disks... Will I have to use the old hard drive for reading disks or can I use an external drive I recently got for burning, etc.

Thanks. (new learner)

19 Posts

June 17th, 2007 01:00

Alright, I've re-installed windows and the new hard drive, and I inserted the old one into the open bay. I connected it with the grey connector.

The computer recognizes it as disk drive "E", when I go to click on it, it asks if I want to format it. When I press OK, it goes on to a window that gives me several options, after pressing ok, it asks if it is sure I want to delete all files/data on the disk.

All I need to recover are "My Documents"

Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 17th, 2007 03:00

coaster101

You do NOT want to format the second E:/ hard drive, formatting will erase all the data, including My Documents.

Go to My Computer, right click the E:/ drive, click Open and select Documents and Settings and you should find My Documents files and folders. Open it and right click the file or folder and drag it to the new hard drive's My Documents.

You can only transfer files, all programs and applications must be reinstalled from their disks or from the publisher's website.

Bev.

19 Posts

June 17th, 2007 03:00

When I do that, it says that the drive is not formatted and it asks me if I want to. After clicking no, nothing happens it just shows "my computer", like that was the only option.

All I need are my documents, and hopefully they are still on there somewhere...

Thanks again for everybody's help. I really appreciate it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 17th, 2007 09:00

It sounds like the drive has lost its partition table - if you need the data, contact a data recovery service (Ontrack, Drive Savers, etc.).

19 Posts

June 17th, 2007 15:00

Alright, I'm going to download the trial Easy Data Recovery from Ontrack, then if I see any files I'll buy the full version.

19 Posts

June 18th, 2007 03:00

Update:

Alright, I've fixed all of the hard drive issues. I used www.recovermyfiles.com and got everything back I needed.

Thanks for all the help!!

I've only got one question, should I be concerned about all of this happening again? Besides backing my files, are there other steps I can take to prevent this from happening?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 18th, 2007 04:00

coaster101

Pleased to hear that the problem has been resolved.

Hard drives can fail at anytime, the best prevention, is to keep your data backups current.

Bev.

No Events found!