7 Plutonium

Re: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

coaster101

You do NOT want to format the second E:/ hard drive, formatting will erase all the data, including My Documents.

Go to My Computer, right click the E:/ drive, click Open and select Documents and Settings and you should find My Documents files and folders. Open it and right click the file or folder and drag it to the new hard drive's My Documents.

You can only transfer files, all programs and applications must be reinstalled from their disks or from the publisher's website.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
coaster101
1 Nickel

When I do that, it says that the drive is not formatted and it asks me if I want to. After clicking no, nothing happens it just shows "my computer", like that was the only option.

All I need are my documents, and hopefully they are still on there somewhere...

Thanks again for everybody's help. I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It sounds like the drive has lost its partition table - if you need the data, contact a data recovery service (Ontrack, Drive Savers, etc.).
0 Kudos
coaster101
1 Nickel

Alright, I'm going to download the trial Easy Data Recovery from Ontrack, then if I see any files I'll buy the full version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
coaster101
1 Nickel

Update:

Alright, I've fixed all of the hard drive issues. I used www.recovermyfiles.com and got everything back I needed.

Thanks for all the help!!

I've only got one question, should I be concerned about all of this happening again? Besides backing my files, are there other steps I can take to prevent this from happening?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

coaster101

Pleased to hear that the problem has been resolved.

Hard drives can fail at anytime, the best prevention, is to keep your data backups current.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
coaster101
1 Nickel

Do you recommend anything specific for file backup? I know there are alot of options to choose from.
0 Kudos