Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2015 03:00

Unable to format Dell USB

Hi,

When I got my alienware 17 in the box they give me a USB key with softwares on it, after I used them I want to format but I can't because there is a write only feature.

thank's in advance.

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 12:00

Following links may help you all that are looking for a solution....

NOTE: please read/verify all 3 procedures before execution, then select the flavor that adjust to your situation.....

PROCEDURE 01

PROCEDURE 02

PROCEDURE 03

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 27th, 2015 16:00

Hi Aithusa27,

We strongly recommend you keep that USB key in the event that you ever need to replace the hard drive. 

6 Posts

May 4th, 2016 17:00

Listen, I really need assistance with this. I have the same media stick. I have the pop up asking me to update my backup and restore. No problem. I want to UPDATE it on THIS stick because it's large enough for it, unlike other USB drives that I have. Is there any way that you know of to be able to write to this disk? As it is now, because of the update, this content is no longer the latest anyway.

So do you know how to do that? Or not? Thank you in advance.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2016 10:00

I have the same issue. Our company buys so many laptops and wondered if these drives could be made write enabled. It seems a waste to throw away all the drives. All the suggestions given dont seem to work. Dell should do the customers a favor by letting them user th drives for other purposes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2017 03:00

Hi, i have a question, i have a Black and a Silver Stick. On the Black Stick its no Problem to unlock, but on the Silver Stick the unlock isnt possible. Can you Help `?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 31st, 2017 05:00

No on an idea ?

13 Posts

January 28th, 2018 21:00

I have a Dell Media Mentor USB restore media for Dell 14Z 5423 ultrabook. The Dell Restore media is giving me autorun.dll error and I want to know if I can fix it by copying a fresh autorun.dll to the USB. I have not done any change to official media so it seems only one dll is corrupt. Any guidance will be helpful

13 Posts

January 28th, 2018 21:00

How to fix Dell official USB Restore Media  for Windows 8 autorun.dll error?

I have a Dell Media Mentor USB restore media for Dell 14Z 423 ultrabook. The media is giving me autorun.dll error and I want to know if I can fix it by copying a fresh autorun.dll to the USB. I have not done any change to official media so it seems only one dll is corrupt.

Any guidance will be helpful

1 Message

April 29th, 2018 12:00

Awesome, procedure 2 worked for me even though I didn't had blue label USB stick. Thanks a lot.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2018 08:00

Please suggest how to unlock Black Pen Drive

1 Message

October 10th, 2018 20:00

The procedures mentioned above didn't work on the latest sticks, but the following did like a charm. absolutely brilliant.

https://github.com/amgxv/DellMentorMediaUSBFormat/blob/master/DELL%20U3-8GDSTS.7z

22 Posts

October 21st, 2018 19:00

As for removing write protection from USB, you can try the following methods:

1. Check the write protection switch if available

Some USB flash drives have a physical switch which allows you to lock or unlock write protection. The location of a switch on a USB flash drive will be different. Make sure the lock switch is slid up to unlock position. 

2. Clear read-only attributes with DiskPart utility

2.1. Press Windows key + R combination on your keyboard. In the pop-up Run dialog box, type diskpart and hit Enter or click "OK" to open the DiskPart Command Prompt.

2.2. Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter after each:

list disk - all of the disks connected to the computer will be displayed, including internal hard drives.

select disk n - where n is the number of USB flash drive. You can use the Size column to identify which one it is.

attributes disk clear readonly - change your USB's properties so that it is no longer read-only.

2.3. Close DiskPart Command Prompt and re-plug your USB flash drive to check if the write protection error is resolved. 

3. format the usb

If you've tried all steps above and still can't remove the write protection from USB drive, you may need to format the USB. The problem is how to format a write-protection USB? You can do this via a professional disk formatting tool. It can directly format it even when the USB is write protected. Much easier and simpler than other methods.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2020 12:00

Tks!! I used is works!!

5 Posts

September 18th, 2022 05:00

VirusTotal flagged disk formatting tool

No Events found!