Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2014 19:00

Unable to install 2.5" SATA HDD in Inspiron 1525

I've read most posts and I've tried ALL, no luck!

HELP!!!!

It's a WD blue 500 gig

Here's what I tried...

1. Formated as one partition using my home brew, works well! Mounts and all!

2. Formated as one 120 gig partition on my home brew, works well!

3. I do not see a "blade" someone said to xfer from old to new.

4. Tried setting the SATA operation to ATA from AHCI, no luck.

Trying to install a fresh Vista 32 bit. and it does NOT see the drive. BIOS does not see it either.

I'm out of options, I don't know what to do!

Any suggestions will be immensely appreciated!

Thanks for reading this!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 21st, 2014 13:00

Sorry listed the wrong Intel ones, try these:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18668&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Vista%2032*&DownloadType=

The Dell ones may be too old for the drive.

2 Posts

June 19th, 2014 03:00

Having similar issues, trying to install a new OS but neither th OS installation finds the drive nor the BIOS,

i think the HDD is dead by now, going to buy WD Blue 500 GB Laptop internal hard drive (WD5000BPVT/ WD5000LPVX) for  dell vostro 1014.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2014 09:00

If this is one of the new 7mm slim drives, you may need an adapter to get it to connect with your system, which is designed for a 9.5 mm drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 20th, 2014 12:00

I've read most posts and I've tried ALL, no luck!

HELP!!!!

It's a WD blue 500 gig

Here's what I tried...

1. Formated as one partition using my home brew, works well! Mounts and all!

2. Formated as one 120 gig partition on my home brew, works well!

3. I do not see a "blade" someone said to xfer from old to new.

4. Tried setting the SATA operation to ATA from AHCI, no luck.

Trying to install a fresh Vista 32 bit. and it does NOT see the drive. BIOS does not see it either.

I'm out of options, I don't know what to do!

Any suggestions will be immensely appreciated!

Thanks for reading this!

In your case you need to load SATA drivers during the Windows setup see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/downloading-preparing-and-loading-sata-drivers/

June 20th, 2014 19:00

Thanks for the reply, but the drivers link you gave me is only for AMD, I have Intel.
I searched the Intel site, w/no luck, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, wrong tag.
Thank you in advance for your additional assistance!

Jim

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 21st, 2014 03:00

That was just instructions. The Dell SATA Drivers are these:

http://ftp.dell.com/SATA/R166200.EXE

You can also prepare the latest ones from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17312&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Vista%2032*&DownloadType=

In general I prepare both and load the Intel ones and use the Dell ones as a reserve only if I experience a problem.

June 21st, 2014 12:00

Again, thanks a million for your extended help!

I had already tried the Intel ones, but I'm unable to use them since the exec file does the installation and it does not support my home brew.

I tried the Dell ones, loaded them, but still won't see the drive!

Damn, this is so embarrassing, 25 yrs in the IT industry and I cannot install a damn drive in a laptop!

I know I've been out of it since 2002, but, it can't be that difference, although back then you could download WD formatting app and off you go.

I know it's not the drive, since my home brew sees it and able to format it and mount it.

June 22nd, 2014 09:00

I feel soooooo stupid!

Simple problem overlooked by an old fart!

The WD Blue is 30% thinner than the original and that was enough to prevent it from being plugged into the motherboard. Once I noticed it, I opened the bottom of the laptop where I could see the port and was able to guide the drive into the connector!

Dell boot CD had drivers, but it was unable to allow me to reformat/repartition the drive, so I tried yours and they work well. I was able to repartition to full 500 gig and reformat, and I'm currently installing OS!

Thanks a million to you! I'm going to look how I can give you kudos or whatever it's called on this forum.

You were of great help and I feel embarrassed!

June 22nd, 2014 12:00

I also found, the drivers you gave me, will not allow the OS to install. Had to reboot and use the ones on CD. Re-formated using those drivers and I'm up and running!

Again, million thanks to you!

PS: Couldn't find Kudos thing, but you earned a bunch!

Thnx!

Demetris

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 22nd, 2014 14:00

Great glad you managed to resolve it. Just check that you don't have an adapter to make it fit flush.

This black adapter came with my Crucial M500 to make it fit in the laptop 2.5" slot correctly. Without it I had the same problem.

This forum does not have kudos but there is the ability to like posts at the bottom and rate with stars (no idea why theres both).

No Events found!