Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2010 13:00

Upgrade HD's in Dimension 8200

On occasion, when I boot up my Dimension 8200, I get a message in DOS that my HD is about to fail and hit “F1” to continue.  This has gone on for a while so I think I should change/upgrade my hard drive before I loose all my data.  Also, I installed a slave drive a couple of years ago.  The following are my questions:

1)      What is the largest hard drive I can install? (main and slave) with the least amount of effort (no BIOS update)

2)      What is the best what is the best way to transfer data/application/files to new drives (backup/clone)? 

The following is some general information on my computer:

-         BIOS: A01

-         Main HD: 40GB

-         Slave HD: 40GB

Thanks for the help, and any other suggestions.

Gabriel

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 11th, 2010 13:00

garaiza  

The easiest method to install windows and transfer all the data, is to clone the primary hard drive to the replacement, but before cloning a hard drive, be certain that existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transfered to the new hard drive.

There is no upgrade to 48 bit LBA support in the BIOS of the 8200 because the initial release of the BIOS already provided that support.

To install a new above 120gb hard drives in the Dimension 8200 and reinstall XP, requires an XP-SP1 or higher installation disc, not XP with a Service Pack upgrade.

But, if you clone the exsisting primary IDE hard drive to the new hard drive, you can use any currently available 3.5" internal IDE 7200rpm hard drive.

Bev.

11 Posts

January 12th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the quick and great response.  From review of your information and looking at some of the files/programs on my c: drive, I don't think I will clone the drive as there is probably a lot of "trash" files/programs that I do not want to migrate to the new drive.  Therefore, can you please help me with the following additional questions:

1) What is the maximum size HD I can install in my 8200

2) What is the maximum size slave HD I can install in my 8200

FYI, I have Windows XP installation disk with Service Pack 2.

Thanks again with all your help.

Gabriel

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2010 19:00

garaiza

For the primary C:/  hard drive, you can use any currently available 3.5" internal IDE 7200rpm hard drive, up to 500gb and the same for secondary [Slave] drive.

Bev.

11 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 23:00

The new drives are installed and working great.  It took me longer than I thought (but I am not and IT guy).  I am still moving data and drives from my old drives, but the performance on my computer is much improved.  It like a new computer.  Thanks for the help.  Gabriel

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 24th, 2010 11:00

Gabriel.

Happy to have helped and pleased to hear the upgrade went well.   :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!