jmazurdial
1 Copper

Upgrading the SSD

I have a Latitude E7450 and would like to uipgrade the SSD drive. Can I install a Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO, 500GB? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Upgrading the SSD

I do not normally work with this system but thought I would help. On this system you will want to confirm what version of chassis/motherboard you have before buying the drive since this system can either have an msata or 2.5" drive.

Here is a link to the service manual for your system where you will see options for installing a 2.5" which I linked (so this would be the normal 2.5" Samsung 850 drive that will work). Also at this link you will also see a choice for msata which if you have a regular 2.5" drive you can stop here and get that drive, but if not will want to confirm you have the msata drive (so click that link on the left hand side and continue). Depending what your system has will determine what drive to order.

I hope this helps, and while this is not something that has been tested by Dell I have seen a lot of user posts stating that they were able to get it work just fine.

Best regards,
Brad

jmazurdial
1 Copper

Thanks, Brad. I'll try your suggestions.
0 Kudos
SMW_SMW
1 Copper

DELL-Brad L,

What is the maximum drive size that can be supported by the bios using the msata format and the normal 2.5 format

Thx SMW

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There isn't a BIOS limit on the drive size.  SSDs of any capacity will work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
zbabac
1 Copper

Re: Upgrading the SSD

I replaced the original mSATA drive with normal size Samsung EVO 850. It is operational for more than 2 years now. I also installed the 2nd drive in WWAN slot (altough it is not bootable, but I use it as data disk). It is KingSpec NVMe 2242. Drive in WWAN slot must be 42mm and must be NVMe (SATA is not supported in this slot).
0 Kudos