Highlighted
tsubasanyo
1 Copper

Vostro 1510 - upgraded to win7, now dvd drive not recognized

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my Vostro 1510 to Win7 Pro 32bit, but now the slot-loading dvd drive does not work. Windows does not even recognize that there is a dvd drive attached.

I've tried installing the optiarc vista 32bit driver on the dell website, and was prompted to overwrite existing drivers, only to at the end be told that a compatible device could not be found.

I've also tried looking in the registry for the upper and lowerfilters, but neither of those keys exist anyhow.

Everything in regards to cd/dvd's was working fine when I was on XP, so I have a hard time believing that the drive itself is busted...also there is a cd inside, and i can hear it spinning and trying to read it when I boot up the computer.

As a side note, I'd really like to get that cd out of there...since it's slot loading there's obviously no pinhole to push to open the dvd drive. I've tried holding down the eject button on the bios menu as well, to no avail.

Any suggestions on either of these matters? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Skybird
5 Rhenium

Re: Vostro 1510 - upgraded to win7, now dvd drive not recognized

Try this Microsoft Article ........

support.microsoft.com/.../982116

If the "FixIt" does not work, scroll down the page and follow the manual instructions for your operating system.

0 Kudos
tsubasanyo
1 Copper

Tried that previously, didn't work =(

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Rhenium

Does the CD drive appear and is enabled in the Set-up (BIOS)?

0 Kudos
tsubasanyo
1 Copper

The cd drive is not detected in the bios either: atapi cd-rom: none

0 Kudos
Skybird
5 Rhenium

A drive missing from the BIOS usually is a poor connection.  You can check that.  

You may also want to check this Microsoft Article here ....... support.microsoft.com/.../975270

0 Kudos
jjebadas
1 Copper

Hey, Dont go for win 7 32 bit. I also got the same prob.

But now i have installed 64bit. Now no prob...

Just try it.....

0 Kudos