DeeDee49F
2 Bronze

WARNING

Hi! everyone... New to this site....Need a bit of feedback. Feeling a bit pressured to buy my new system earlier than expected.  Although I plan on it in a couple of weeks.  The following info is the problem for feeling rushed.  When one receives such a message does it mean I only have days to live  :emotion-9:... LOL.  I am presently keeping my system powered up so I no longer encounter such a message at start-up..

Just how serious is this notification ? Would appreciate any and all thoughts... Thanks ! and will be awaiting your input...

DeeDee49F

Warining:  Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected the drive 0 on the
primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications.  It is
advisable to immediately back up your data & replace your hard disk drive
by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation.

- Stike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the stetup utility.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
osprey4
8 Krypton

Re: WARNING

Hi, Deedee:

This is telling you that your hard drive is about to fail. You may not have more than a few HOURS, so please back up your important data right away!!

Fortunately, a replacement hard drive is very cheap. If you would post the model of your system, I can locate something for you.

eskymi
4 Germanium

I second what Osprey said.  I concur with the sentiment of replacing the drive.

Cute story however.  My parents have a PC that started saying "Imminent drive failure....back up and replace drive."  This started 3 years ago.  So they decided to do nothing and then after 2 years decided to buy a new pc and use this one with the bad drive as a junk PC till the drive failed.  1 year later it's still running fine.  So you may have failure in a few hours, or several years!!!!!

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

DeeDee49F
2 Bronze

Cute story, as well....Planning on giving my system to my Dad...Will be purchasing Inspiron 530 this evening...Thank you for your input.. Made me laugh emoticon.Stickouttongue.title because our stories are similar..   Have a great day !  emoticon.BigSmile.title

DeeDee49F
2 Bronze

Hi! Osprey:

Appreciate your help !  My system is so old that I will look into the hard-drive replacement at a later time... I am going ahead with purchasing a new system... Very kind of you to try and locate something for me...You may hear from me in the future...Thanks ! emoticon.Yes.title

eskymi
4 Germanium

Deedee,

After reading the last couple posts I realized that my cute story however sounded rather sardonic.  The way I meant it to come out was that I agree with Osprey and the story that I was telling was supposed to be cute.  I can see how it sounded rather caustic.  Sorry!  Nice to see you have upgraded.  New computers are always great.  I am expecting my 6th Dell PC tomorrow.  2 Inspiron 1720s, 1 E1705, 2 XPS 420's and 1 Insprion Mini 9.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

DeeDee49F
2 Bronze

Why the Sorry !  We must be mis-communicating...........Your post just confirmed what I was thinking, myself..........

osprey4
8 Krypton

LOL!! Good story.